Skip to content
ADHD meds and school
mommyiam1 posted:
My nephew is ADHD and is on concerta, ritalin and a sleep pill. He needs the ritalin inthe afternoon to be able to get homework done. He is 7 yrs old. He is behidn in school. My sister has not been able to get him the help he needs, and she cannot afford private school or tutoring. The teacher is really frustrated because he so behind, He is not goos at math. He doesn't know his add and subtraxt facts, He has a really hard itme retaining them. Where do we go for help and who can help. I'm not really sure he will ever get to grade level. If anyone can help us find the helps that would be great. Thanks

momuv4girls responded:
They need to talk to someone at the School District.

If you pass along your City and State of residence, I can do some online research for you, but your sister (or brother) would then need to call a few people and find out the right environment for your nephew.

There is help out there, its just tough to find it sometimes!

-Kathleen

GinaPera responded:
Two points:

1. If the boy's mother or father also has ADHD (odds are good that is the case, since ADHD is highly genetic), they should seriously consider getting treatment for themselves.

This will probably help the home environment and can help the parent to do what needs to be done for the child.

2. She can talk to someone at the National Resource Center for ADHD, a division of the federal Centers for Disease Control.

800-233-4050

There are many fact-sheets at the NRCADHD's website:

http://www.help4adhd.org/

Good luck!
Gina

Boyzmomee responded:
Ask for an evaluation at school, in writing, and then obtain either an IEP or 504 plan.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.