Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
help me! my 8 year old daughter with adhd has outburts
alexliz04 posted:
I dont know how to handle my daughter. She constantly yells at me, hits me, throws things at me and just yells out of nowhere. She's on 15mg of adderall and it really doesn't seam to help. Her doctor has changed her meds 4 times in 1 year. Nothing is working. My nerves are shot and im so lost. Please give me some advice

ThatADDgirl89 responded:
Wow, Growing up with ADHD myself, I was a handful too at times, but the violence and yelling seems to me like something else.

This sounds like a kind of behavioral problem that might be better sorted out with family counseling. Is she watching a lot of violent T.V.? Is she experiencing bullying? Is there something going on in your lives that might have caused some unrest in your family?

I would not blame the medicine too soon, but check your insurance and see if it offers a number of free visits to counseling, or maybe there is a social worker at your school that you can talk to?

Remember to be patient, try not to raise your voice and to follow through on appropriate discipline techniques. Try google-ing some behavioral modification techniques or CBT therapy.

Best wishes, D.

2blue2 responded:
I would have her checked for food allergies. I once saw a demonstratioon where a child was playing nicely with some toys and was then fed a banana. He started throwing his toys violently and starte screeming. Perhaps your daughter is reactiing to a food she eats frequently.

Good luck.

AcuIceland responded:
I have worked with some childreln with similar anger issues. Food allergies are certainly something to look into. I'm an acupuncturist so I can't speak for medication issues but this does sound like a bit more than ADHD. What your describing is more like EAD - Explosive Anger Disorder. Google it and you will find several references.
Good luck
E.G.

Boyzmomee replied to 2blue2's response:
Food allergies do not cause ADHD nor violent behavior. Find a qualified child psychologist to to a thorough evaulation and to provide appropriate treatment.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

ADHD - Healing the Myth
Hi, This is a great video about the cause and natural solutions for ADHD that some very wise doctors are tuned into. You can view at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.