Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD
Clariposita posted:
my 9 year old son was recently diagnosed with adhd. he hates school, he purposely finds every excuse under the sun to not do homework or work. he does if he's given one on one attention. we have not started medication but i think he needs it. will these symptoms get better ?

ThatADDgirl89 responded:
Hello, I have been diagnosed with ADHD since the first grade, I struggled in school early as well. Now I have been on the deans list and am graduating my bachelors BASW and a certified Dementia Practitioner.

I can tell you from experience, medicine is NOT the only answer for ADHD problems.

When I was little my doctor put me on Adderall and later Ritalin, I know they work for some children, but for me I was almost suicidal. I was spacey and tired. I also had horrible dreams and hallucinations!

I think you should consider exploring tutoring, maybe some extra attention and time is all he needs.

How is his diet? Sugar can sometimes make ADHD worse especially caffeine. Does he have cereal in the morning, that's usually a culprit.

What helped me the most getting through school was encouragement and hope. I had a supportive mother who was patient with me, and wonderful teachers who would tell me to do my best.

Stay patient, let him blow off steam, and remain positive, I'm sure he will do better. Best wishes, D.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.