Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How is anxiety related to ADHD?
ThatADDgirl89 posted:
Hello Everyone,

I have been Diagnosed with ADHD Since I could remember, I have also had to deal with anxiety. I feel that I have my anxiety under control, but I'm curious as to how ADHD and Anxiety are related. Does ADHD cause anxiety? or is anxiety only a product of your life experiences or environment? Not pushing any Nature Vs. Nurture debates by the way.
Any feedback would be helpful.
Has anyone else experienced anxiety in conjunction with your ADD or ADHD? Can you tell me what you have gone through? Are you over it? or still having issues? What has worked and what has not worked?
Advice? Tips? Stories?
Would love to hear them!

Thank You.
D.

bhamil999 responded:
I have severe anxiety issues and have been taking a benodiazapine for many years to control it. it has never been very effective but i struggled through. recently my anxiety has become intolerable so i spoke to my psychiatrist about it and he put me on an ADHD med called Intuniv. I have to take a high dose but find it to be very helpful with my anxiety issues. He has not come right out and said i have ADHD but i certainly fit the criteria as far as symptoms go. I was not diagnosed as a child but it is possible i suppose. I have always been a high achiever but always feel overwhelmed and anxious about every situation I am in. I also have Bi Polar II and my symptoms could be related to that according to things i have read on here. My personal belief is that anxiety and ADHD go hand in hand. The intuniv i am currently taking seems to be losing its effectivness already and i have only been on it for a month. I don't know what i will do when this medication stops working. that is the problem with these meds, their effectivness is short lived in my experiences thus far.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.