Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what's wrong with me?
An_250191 posted:

I am a 23 year old female and a first year student in law school. I graduated my undergrad with honours. I struggle in school in so far as I am completely unable to focus in class and cannot retain the information I'm taught. I almost always fall asleep in class (involuntarily) and it has become extremely embarrassing. Even when I get adequate sleep, the day-time drowsiness is completely overwhelming- there is nothing I can do to keep from dosing off. This has been going on for as long as I can remember. As a result, I have to learn all of the information on my own after school- which is difficult because I cannot concentrate on the material I read and easily get distracted. It takes me so much longer to do things and finish assignments than my classmates. In addition, I can NEVER finish a written test on time because I have too many thoughts and too much information to sort through.

I can get fixated on certain topics and will spend hours researching things online, rather than doing my homework. I can focus on these things for very long periods of time and I become completely consumed in my research, whereas I cannot spend more than 10 minutes at a time focusing on my studies.

I am extremely disorganized and I am a huge procrastinator. I put off things like chores, paying bills, making appointments and calls etc. and then later spend 3 as long dealing with the consequences.I have a problem getting things done.

My mind is constantly active. I can't even turn it off to sleep. I have insomnia because my thoughts are too invasive. I also have a delayed sleep onset cycle. I stay up till 4 am or later and then sleep in whenever given the opportunity. I have been for a sleep study recently and am awaiting the results. I prefer the night and find I am unable to function during the day. I am always late for things and can never wake up when my alarm goes off.

While I am sociable, I do suffer from some slight social anxiety. I often dwell on my conversations with people and spend a lot of time thinking about what I should have said or how the person feels about me. This could just be insecurity, but the rumination really interferes with my life and sometimes hold me back from social situations and meeting new people.

I have some obsessive compulsive tendencies i.e.. constantly worrying about leaving my straighter on and checking to make sure its off, locking and re-locking my car, double, triple checking emails and homework for errors, etc. These tendencies really get in the way and cause me undue stress. While I recognize that my behaviour can be irrational, I am compelled to second-guess myself.

I have been diagnosed with general anxiety. I am a worrier. I worry about everything and everyone all the time. My anxiety also holds me back sometimes i.e. afraid of going out on my own for fear of getting lost. While I do force myself to do these things, the experience can be quite daunting and stressful. I really have to work myself up in order to leave my comfort zone.

I also have depression, for which I am on antidepressant medication. I lack motivation and will-power, never sticking to my goals. I often feel sluggish and will go through periods where I do not get out of my bed unless its really necessary. I can sometimes be irritable or overly sensitive.

I think there is more to my problem than just anxiety/depression.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dixiedo responded:
Read my post about ADD which I just posted. You say you are on antidrepressant meds. Talk to whoever gave you the meds. Maybe you need to talk to an actual physiologist. However, if you decide to see one, check them out first. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.