Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Concerned Grandmother
Noni2KKr posted:
I am the grandmother of a beautiful 10 year old granddaughter who is suffering with ADHD and I would love some help so I can help her.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Noni,

How is your g-daughter suffering? If you could be more specific, that would help with ideas and advice.

How is her school life / work going ??

Is she on any medication?

Are her parents working with professionals to help her?

A bit more info. would be great, thank you!
-Kathleen

Noni2KKr replied to momuv4girls's response:
She is in fifth grade and up until this year was doing great as far as grades. This year it has taken a lot of tutoring on site as well as off site of the school just for her to be barely passing. Her mother does not believe in medication and is concerned about the side effects. She did take medication for a while a couple of years ago and it helped but her mother took her off of it due to the dangers of it. This year she tried the holistic route which was no help. Unfortunately my daughter keeps telling her she is retarded and I have voiced my opinion on that to no avail. She has gone to counseling but my daughter is one of those people that when she is in the office she shows concern but when she leaves she fusses at my granddaughter for something she has said in front of the psychologist. She is now threatening to put her in a "home" because they cannot do anything with her.

Now granted my granddaughter is at the point that she takes jabs at her mother to finally get under her skin and my daughter screams at her. I have seen that myself. My granddaughter will put off a project or homework until the last minute then it looks awful. She appears to be lazy to me. She is a very smart and can sit and carry on a perfectly normal conversation with any adult. She fascinates most people. She is very artistic and is the sweetest child anyone would ever want. Her mother will not let herself get close to my granddaughter for some reason. My granddaughter can be fine one minute and running down the hall screaming the next. She stayed with me mostly last summer and I could tell a big difference in her attitude and happiness than when she is at home. She was relaxed and I had no problems with her at all. She saw her parents every day because I live across the road from them but then she would spend the night with me.

I know this is lengthy but I hurt so much for the both of them.

momuv4girls replied to Noni2KKr's response:
Well, I can understand how this is painful for you to witness......
and its a difficult situation at best.

Is there any chance your daughter would take a parenting class?

It sounds like your granddaughters time with you is very special, maybe you could have her more often?

I know that school and school work will get more and more stressful each year (socially and academically).
If your daughter hasn't looked into a 504 or an IEP yet, she may want to start exploring it, as they take awhile to implement.

Here is a helpful link regarding educating a child with ADHD, maybe you could show it to your daughter.
http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_teaching_strategies.htm

Take care, and bless you for being such a pillar in your granddaughters world!
-Kathleen

mattthecat replied to momuv4girls's response:
bump

mattthecat replied to Noni2KKr's response:
bump

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

ADHD - Healing the Myth
Hi, This is a great video about the cause and natural solutions for ADHD that some very wise doctors are tuned into. You can view at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.