Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ADHD meds help
Emmyb posted:
I am a 33 year old female and recently got diagnosed with ADHD (not sure why not just ADD because I'm not hyper at all, total opposite actually). I know I have suffered from this all my life but just recently trying to get help. My husband is military so I have to see my PCM here on base and they aren't always the best doctors however don't get me wrong there are some good ones out there. Well after my diagnosis from an expert off base doctor that ran lots of tests I went to see my PCM. She started me off on Adderal XR 5 mg and I was to add weekly until I felt it was working, she also tried me on the non XR version. I couldn't find a correct dosage and honestly it would put me to sleep. Once I told her that she said that I must not have it but since my other dr diagnosed me then we will try some more meds. I am now on 54 mg of concerta XR and I thought it was working at first but I don't feel that it is anymore. Anyone have any ideas of what I could try. I would ask my dr. But she isn't much help. Basically I have to research and go in with the information I have gathered and tell her what I want to do. Please help, I feel like I'm going crazy trying to find help.

Wayne95670 responded:
I am 57 years old with ADD. I have been using a med known as Straterra. Takes a few days to work. I have no real side effects to speak of and it helps me to focus and stay on track. I take it in the morning because it seems to give me a headache throughout the day when I take it at night. But, that might be due to the meds I take in the evening. Might want to ask about Straterra!

Gina Pera responded:
Hi Emmy,

To address a few of your comments/questions:

1. Just because you have no physical hyperactivity does not mean you don't have ADHD. There are three sub-types to ADHD; hyperactive, inattentive, combined. Most adults with ADHD have the combined type, and the fewest have the hyperactive type. Adults typically are not physically hyperactive but can be "mentally" restless/hyperactive.

2. Physicians make a reckless error in telling patients to keep increasing the dose until they "feel" it is working. They should be working with you to establish treatment goals and objective measure. While sometimes you might "feel" you are thinking more clearly and be less "in the fog," you should be judging the medication by how you actually perform in life. That is, are you able to procrastinate less and work more efficiently? Solid treatment goals, not "feelings."

3. Not everyone responds to each class of medication. Adderall is an amphetamine medication. You might do better on the methylphenidate class (i.e. Concerta).

4. Remember that you might forget how you functioned prior to starting the medication. This happens all the time. People will ADHD will expect to feel the "new and exciting" all the time, when in fact that feeling lessens over time. Ask other people if they have noticed a difference in you since starting medication. Ask them to be specific.

Please read up more on ADHD medications.There is much more than can be provided in an answer here.

Good luck,
Gina Pera

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.