Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Section 504 Accommodations
twomom posted:
My son is 7 years old and has a lot of difficulty in school due to attention problems. He requires a lot of teacher support to keep him focused and on task. His teachers (he is in an inclusion classroom so he has two of them) have implemented some informal accommodations this year to assist him: extra time on assignments, moving his desk, positive behavior modification, allowing him to go to a seperate area of the room (quieter area) to complete tasks, etc. I recently met with the school to request an evaluation for services and was told my son was "too smart" for services as he has good grades. Keep in mind, they are evaluating him in light of the accommodations he already has in place. So then I asked about a 504 plan for next year so that we can keep in place the in classroom accommodations that seem to be working for him next year. Again, I was told my son tested too high and that 504 accommodations only cover extra time on state tests, and not all of the other stuff. I was told the other stuff his teachers are doing are just "informal" accommodations that we can work out with his teacher next year if we need to. It doesn't seem right to me that he can't even get a 504 plan with these accommodations on it simply because he's smart. Can someone please give me some advice as to where I can go for more help or where I can find more information about this. At this point, I'm so frustrated and just ready to take him off his medication and let the school deal with him since they don't seem to think there is any problem and they don't seem willing to help us at all.

lovethree responded:
If he has a diagnosis of ADHD, that initself should entitle him to a 504 which allows for accommodations only such as xtra time on tests, seating preference.it does not sound like he is entitled to an IEP, due to his grades,

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love problems solution baba ji +91-9888401510
Get all solutions in your life within 48 hours and with 100% guaranteed. With in astrology systematic call to guru ji +91 9888401510 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.