Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Section 504 Accommodations
    twomom posted:
    My son is 7 years old and has a lot of difficulty in school due to attention problems. He requires a lot of teacher support to keep him focused and on task. His teachers (he is in an inclusion classroom so he has two of them) have implemented some informal accommodations this year to assist him: extra time on assignments, moving his desk, positive behavior modification, allowing him to go to a seperate area of the room (quieter area) to complete tasks, etc. I recently met with the school to request an evaluation for services and was told my son was "too smart" for services as he has good grades. Keep in mind, they are evaluating him in light of the accommodations he already has in place. So then I asked about a 504 plan for next year so that we can keep in place the in classroom accommodations that seem to be working for him next year. Again, I was told my son tested too high and that 504 accommodations only cover extra time on state tests, and not all of the other stuff. I was told the other stuff his teachers are doing are just "informal" accommodations that we can work out with his teacher next year if we need to. It doesn't seem right to me that he can't even get a 504 plan with these accommodations on it simply because he's smart. Can someone please give me some advice as to where I can go for more help or where I can find more information about this. At this point, I'm so frustrated and just ready to take him off his medication and let the school deal with him since they don't seem to think there is any problem and they don't seem willing to help us at all.
    lovethree responded:
    If he has a diagnosis of ADHD, that initself should entitle him to a 504 which allows for accommodations only such as xtra time on tests, seating does not sound like he is entitled to an IEP, due to his grades,

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
    Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    31 of 33 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.