Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LD questions
An_250793 posted:
This is not an ADHD question but a related LD question. I am a 30-year-old doctoral student and am unsure if I have an LD. I have always excelled at reading and in school but have severe spelling/writing problems. I have an excellent vocabulary, have excellent reading comprehension, but I cannot spell which significantly slows everything I do. I wrote this post in a word document and struggled to spell "comprehension, significantly, and everything, etc." I painfully and slowly verbally mediate and sound words out phonetically. Much of the time I get most of the letters but sequence things wrong. I can breeze through multi-hour exams that my peers struggle with but had to think if "everything" was spelled with a "v" or an "f" and then make sure the sequencing was right as I wrote it out. When I use spell check I often choose the wrong words to correct my misspelled words. No matter how much effort I put in I cannot seem to recall the spelling and sequence of really basic words even though I can recognize them and use them articulately. I make up mnemonics but somehow still get confused about how to spell stupid words like "their." Am I just a bad speller or should I be assessed? What would they even do?

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

ADHD - Healing the Myth
Hi, This is a great video about the cause and natural solutions for ADHD that some very wise doctors are tuned into. You can view at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.