Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD
romo0982 posted:
I am wanting some help with a question. If a child truly has ADHD can they pick and choose when it acts up? Or is this a condition that they cant control without medication.

billmancn responded:
That is a really good question. My 6 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD. It was tough for me to swallow the diagnosis, because he can focus on TV and legos just fine! Our therapist said that kids with ADHD can focus on some things. Honestly, after everything we have gone through with him it has made me wonder if I have it as well! I can focus on what I usually need to.. but put me in a lecture, and I am gone - I have a really difficult time focusing on auditory information. So I wonder if that is what it feels like? Our therapist says that as our son gets older, he can learn coping skills. But right now, he is really too young to be aware of that.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.