Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Deciding to medicate or not...
Momof2munchkins posted:
My daughter is 6yrs old in Kindergarten and just officially diagnosed with ADHD. We have done everything by the book, her Dr now just prescribed her with Adderal XR, I would like to hear feedback on this med! Have you tried it out with your child? IFso, what did you like/dislike? Thanks!

billmancn responded:
Hi! My 6 year old son was recently diagnosed with ADHD. We started on adderal, and at first he seemed to be doing great. He was on the lowest dosage, and when we realized it wasn't quite enough it was increased a little - and it was fine. For 2 months. Then, his teacher reported that he was staring into space a lot, taking a long time to do his work, and not really "present". Around the same time I noticed that at home his attitude was really mean, particularly in the evenings. Because it was after the meds had worn off I just chalked it up to him getting older, until I saw on a forum that another mom had seen the same behavior in her child - I guess it is a kind of "rebound" effect. So, we went back to the dr. and he was put on Concerta - and so far, it is wonderful. Much better attitude, school performance is great, and I feel like he is a normal kid. But, from what I am hearing every kid is different, and will react to the meds differently. Adderal may work great for you - just watch her, and get feedback from her teacher. The one thing I have learned is that you may find something that works - but it may not work forever, and you may have to readjust. But hang in there! I know it is a scary road, but you and your daughter will get through it.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.