Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Son is 20 and just diagnosed
joanmarilyn posted:
My son was recently diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. He struggled in junior high and high school, but graduated. We thought it his poor grades were due to his intelligence; in honor's classes he received As, in regular classes he struggled. He went to a community college for 1 year and a few months, each time withdrawing from the semester as he could not finish the home work or study. We finally realized, after speaking with a counselor he most likely had ADD/ADHD. Well, he was diagnosed and started treatment 9 months ago. His medicine has justt been changed from Vyvanse to Concerta as the Vyvanse was not working. He is just starting the next strength of Concerta (middle level), We have tried to guide him in keeping a calendar, but he still needs to go up one more level to be at the full strength.

We are so worried about him getting into college and finishing. We hope with the medicine he will be able to do so, as he want to get his degree so badly and go into a field he has a passion for,

What are the statistics on someone in this age group (20 years old) of being sucessful in realizing their dream. He is frustrated and depressed (and is being treated for depression as well) because he has not been abe to make any progress and should be in his sophmore year.

What can we do to help?

Thank you. From a very worried Mom who loves her son and wants to see him realize his dream and be happy.

JoanMarilyn

Gabrielgew responded:
I'm sorry Joan Marilyn. You must be terribly worried for your son and his future. However, it sounds like your family is certainly on the right track. The struggle takes a long time, and your son will probably always work a little harder than others. But, he can definitely succeed!

I'm a 45 year art education professor with severe dyslexia and a recent diagnose (one year ago) of extreme ADHD. I got series about treating the dyslexia in graduate school. And as a result, I graduated with honors. And, my current treatments for ADHD (counseling, life coaching and adderall) are making a complete difference in my entire out-look on life!

However, your son must be the driving force behind making change in his life. He must also learn that how change is possible! As you probably know, this disability is all about positive vs. negative ways of thinking.

Your son might check-out my ADHD life coach; she's made open my eyes to patterns and habits that I had never seen in myself, http://www.coachingaddvantages.com/

I'm not often on this discussion board. If you have more thoughts, feel free to email me at garnellwashington@yahoo.com

Be positive,
Gabriel

mattthecat responded:
bump

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 28 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.