Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
extreme hypertension, long-term amphetamine, 24-yr old
An_251212 posted:
I am a 24 year old female and have been experiencing very high blood pressure for about a month now. It has been creeping up, however, over the last 2-3 years.
My most recent reading from earlier tonight (home cuff reading) was 171/117. I literally just took it again after I typed that sentence and it is now registering 178/116.

I know this is out of control and am meeting with my new (and first) internal medicine doctor this Friday. (Today is Sunday). I am obviously going to go on medication for this problem because it's necessary, but I was hoping to get some input from this community about which medicine might be best for me.

I have been prescribed amphetamines for ADHD for about 11 years now, and my current dose (which is so high because I've been on the medicine so long) is 60mg vyvanse once a day, and 20mg instant adderall twice a day (generic D-amphetamine salt combo--maybe switching to non-generic would have less salt? I don't know).
*(I started taking adderall specifically I think right at 10yrs ago. I switched from adderall XR to vyvanse I think about 4 years ago)

My internist has already suggested lowering this dose if I can, but it's my first year of law school and I can assure you, I will not be lowering my dose.
But, I am curious as to what blood pressure medications interact best with this ADHD medication without inhibiting their effects. Google doesn't seem to offer much help with these questions. Also because I am so young, I want to choose something that I will be able to maybe continue taking if and when I become pregnant (I won't be taking the amphetamines once that happens so maybe I won't need the BPmeds then, but just in case I still do).

Any knowledgeable input is appreciated! Thank you!

An_251212 responded:
I should add that on my first visit to this internist, whom I visited specifically for this issue, he took a blood test and said all my "levels" and functions were very normal and fine.

*(I had a sinus infection and went the the university health center, where the nurse was very bothered by my high reading, and when I told my dad the number he insisted I find an internist immediately).

ralanz replied to An_251212's response:
great post. I'm a long-term survivor of ADHD and have been on Ritalin most of my life.Yesterday, I started generic Adderall. So far so good. I've been taking Ritalin for decades. This Adderall seems more effective. I do have a slight headache and my vision is somewhat strange (pupil dilation?), but not too bad. Last night I actually found myself sorting and folding loads of clean laundry then actually putting everything where it belonged. This seems like a no brainer, but for me it was a true test of the med working.
I did not take my usual 10mg Valium at bedtime because I wanted to study the effects of the Adderall and was able to fall asleep @ 9 pm. Woke up at 4 am and started cleaning the apt. and working at the computer. I've been reading all the posts and I'm learning a lot. My scalp tingles, but it did with the Ritalin and fortunately I did not lose any hair. I have a healthy heart with a low blood pressure. I certainly don't want to take anything to harm my health, but my quality of life has been suffering severely (isolation and general loss of interest in everything).
I've been on Zoloft for a long time and together with the Adderall, "we" hope that I will be able to enjoy some benefits beyond simply cleaning house. I'm going to try to 'cycle' this med once I get use to it (maybe every other day). I'm even going to join a gym for cardio...(I've lost all faith in my promises, so we'll how this goes) Fingers crossed.

Yesterday, I 'graduated' to Adderall 20mg/2/day. Immediately I feel a wonderful difference, but I remember I felt this when I began the Ritalin.

Your post has me thinking about all sorts of things, situations I dealt with when in university in regard to psycho stimulants.

I agree, there's no way your going to be able to stop meds now that you're in law school (by-the-way, kudos on that!).
But you've got to do whatever you can to control your blood pressure and hyper-tension. What's the point of getting a degree if you're too 'sick' to use it?

Do you have a serious cardio exercise routine? I think that will help distribute the meds and improve blood pressure, etc.

Today (day two of Adderall) I'm joining a gym for cardio and stretch....I use to do this religiously, but I've fallen into a 'hole'.

I'm going to try to 'cycle' my dosing in hope of keeping the benefits fresh....maybe dose every other day.

I've taken breaks before and it's never been a colossal problem...maybe sleepy.

I'll be thinking of you and hope you get your BP where you want it. All the best.

mattthecat replied to ralanz's response:
Bump

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.