Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trileptal or Tegretol
An_243468 posted:
I'm curious if any of you have had luck with trileptal or tegretol as far as a mood stabilizer. My goal is to prevent my son from having rages. We have had no luck with lamictal and he is slowly getting off of that one. I have heard that trileptal or tegretol can help stabilize moods and prevent rages. Just wanted to hear other people's experiences.

Thanks

momuv4girls responded:
Personally my daughter has not tired either of these meds, but I do know others that have had success with them......That's the tricky part about medication - what works well for one, is a disaster for the next.

Not sure how old your son is, but I'd urge you to check out this organization for more info.

http://www.thebalancedmind.org/

Take care!
-Kathleen

sonsmother1 replied to momuv4girls's response:
My son does not have bipolar, but anxiety, ADD, and problems with mood regulation. Is this sight for parent's of kids that are not bipolar, but have similar issues?

momuv4girls replied to sonsmother1's response:
Mood issues, and ADD and anxiety are on the spectrum of disorders very similar to bipolar, and treatment is basically the same, depending on the child's needs and symptoms.

The Balanced Mind is a fabulous resource for parents to learn how to parent their child and gives a lot of ideas and information about medications, whether the diagnosis is "mood disorder" or bipolar.

Treatment typically is: stabilize mood with a mood stabilizer medication such as Lamictal, depakote, tegretol etc.... Then, once mood is controlled, then deal with residual symptoms, such as anxiety, ADD etc...

Rages are difficult to see, handle and experience. Psychiatrists may try and treat those first, if they are extreme. Antipsychotics such as risperdal and seroquel target those types of behaviors very well.

I'd urge you to check out the Balanced Mind for support and helpful parenting strategies.

Take care!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.