Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just diagnosed Friday with adhd and im a mommy......
mommysrock0617 posted:
This is for the MD -
I am 26 years old, I am a very devoted christian, mother, and wife. I was just diagnosed with inattentive and hyperactive ahdh on Friday. It took me a very long time to admit I needed help and to go in and get diagnosed. I am successful working for a clinic but struggle tremendously with juggling everyday things...... Anxiety, schedule changes, chores, staying active, staying committed to things, being organized etc. I try very very hard and want to do good in life. Now I need advice from an MD on here...... I have an 8 mo. Old and a husband that's working full time and going to school full time so I have A LOT going on. I go on meds next week I have stop breastfeeding ( I am upset) but I know this is what I have to do. HELP this momma!!!

chicasaw responded:
not md, but mom, hardworking, juggling many things and have learned a lot very fast about adhd. was diagnosed same time as my son. I can tell you for sure the medication helps, a lot. Vyvance was not good for us. caused major depression, in addition to the depress we both dealt with already. No depression with adderal. and a low dose helps a lot. If your dose is too high it makes you counter productive, and adhd symptoms worse. we both describe it like turning on a light in our mind to really read for the first time without re-reading. and organizing my space and work and think in an organized manner and be able to shut out the "extra" that we pick up on more so than other people. We are intelligent and high achievers and have empathy for everyone around us. we are full of ideas, and creative. I found Sari Solden's book about women and ADHD to be very helpful and full of ideas.

AnatomyJunkie responded:
Definitely no doctor, but I do struggle with ADHD and have some tips that might help you.
You're clearly looking to get better (kudos to you!), and being motivated will help to get you through.
Using a wall calender in a place that you'll see everyday (by your dresser, on your bathroom door, etc.) will help you to take a moment in the morning, afternoon, or evening to think about the upcoming events and prepare for them. Making a to-do list (and sticking to it) will help you to keep things fresh in your mind.
Notifications on your phone, iPod, or sticky notes on the door or steering wheel also serve as reminders. However, if you do set reminders, whether it be on sticky notes or on your phone, you have to do what you're reminded of immediately after receiving the notification. Otherwise, you could fall into the "oh, I'll just do it later" habit, in which case the notifications are serving no purpose.
Setting a schedule for your children and yourself will help them to know when they need to do things and help you to keep things more organized. Going to bed at a certain time, exercising (which is a big plus if you have the resources and time), work time, and play time can be structured, but mainly the sleep component is the biggest concern. (Irregular sleep makes for less concentration in ANY person).
Perhaps counseling would be a good option, because they can help you unload emotionally, and give you helpful pointers for dealing with your attention issues.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is communication within your household. Make sure your husband knows what you're dealing with so that he can give you moral support and help to discuss logistics like daycare for your child, as well as your needs.
Think ahead, set a schedule, and stick with it! Have faith! You can pull through. Good luck!(:

mattthecat replied to AnatomyJunkie's response:
Bump

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.