Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Importance of diagnosis
edmp1 posted:
I am living in Sweden although I am British. I have been seeing a psychologist who thinks I have ADD. I have long suspected this and ALL of the signs are there. I discussed briefly about diagnosis and medication and the psychologist was pretty opposed to both. I do understand her reasons and in Sweden they are very cautious about medication for mental health issues. My question is 'what is the value of diagnosis?' if not for medication. Personally, I wouldn't expect the world to suddenly become a more understanding place with a diagnosis and there are lots of strategies that can be employed - some of which I already use. There is part of me that would like a diagnosis just as some sort of justification as to why my life has been so chaotic and for the barrage of criticism I have endured for not being able to cut the muster. I am an intelligent individual but achievement, organisation, dressing smartly, keeping healthy, looking after money, healthy relationships, respectful friendships are all things that elude me. If I am not ADD, I feel then that I am just plain stupid.

Len1956 responded:
Without a confirmed diagnosis you should not take stimulant medication....Asked your therapist for a thorough evaluation or refer to someone whom will do this.

bourbonowski responded:
To me being cautious about medications is understandable. However if you were diagnosed you might be able to change their mind on being opposed to them. You might have a better idea as to how bad you have adhd. I have adhd and my quality of life would be drastically impacted if I didnt take a stimulant medication.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.