Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A.D.D. disaster marraige
Greatfullheart posted:
Good evening, I want to know if anyone can help me with my husband's A.D.D. symptoms before I have to loose my marriage over a disorder. "Pete" is 43 and just last year got diagnosed with A.D.D. he has always been slower but super sweet and funny. We have been married 9 years. The only other thing he has against him in his medical history that is known is that as a child he had a seizer and turned blue once. We tried medications but they do not seem to help but made things worse. So that is our background to my questions.How do I get him to focus on a task, or start a chore without me asking him. He seams to be oblivious to anything but t.v. and food and I do everything else. I am also wondering if low sex drive comes with A.D.D. as well. He says he loves me and wants our marriage to work, but think that is just because I make it to easy on him and he has to step up or step out of his husband role. I love him but do not want to take care of a large child for the rest of my life. Also my Father has suggested that he go on disability and he doesn't want to and wants to work, but at the same time has a hard time keeping a job. Please someone help.......Thank you in advance as I am at my wit's end.

mommyluvs responded:
I was just diagnosed with adult ADD. i have lived years thinking i was crazy. i find to do list and timers seem to help. my husband is understanding but was also at his wits end and is more understanding since we saw the dr. maybe you should go to the dr with him and see if there any suggestions. i dont believe divorce is your answer.

ADDwarrior5 responded:
Have you suggested he get on meds? There are so many people, myself included, who will testify that the meds to treat ADD have "saved their lives"...and many marriages too. Maybe if he knows how exasparated you are he will be willing to give the meds a shot, nothing to lose except you.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.