Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Feel like I'm failing my baby.
VidyaP posted:
Hi ! My name is Dru.My baby is 8 and is diagnose with ADHD.Its been 3 years now. I feel so lost with him. I feel like I am failing him. I don't know what to do?
How do I help him?

arianrhod responded:
First, take a deep breath. You only fail when you stop trying, so your doing fine. I went through this with my youngest daughter and now I am raising her son, and here we go again. LOL

Adhd kids are so much fun, once you get past the stigma. Depending on the type he has, there are different coping strategies. Each case is different, so do not try to "cookie cutter" his case. Along with medication (if needed), you can get yourself informed on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which can help both of you. Also, remember to give more emphasis on when he gets things right, as opposed to when he gets it wrong. Behavior and chore charts with gold stars are a great tool. He can see what is expected and see the results when he accomplishes a task. Be prepared to remind him gently several times. By the way, he will need his mind to be challenged. Adhd kids are extremely intelligent, and can become destructive and disruptive when bored.
Hang in there, it may be a challenge, but it is well worth the trouble. Adhd, is just a thing. It can be lived with and can also be helpful when corralled the right way. I'll be watching for your post. Let us know how things are going.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.