Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Feel like I'm failing my baby.
    VidyaP posted:
    Hi ! My name is Dru.My baby is 8 and is diagnose with ADHD.Its been 3 years now. I feel so lost with him. I feel like I am failing him. I don't know what to do?
    How do I help him?
    arianrhod responded:
    First, take a deep breath. You only fail when you stop trying, so your doing fine. I went through this with my youngest daughter and now I am raising her son, and here we go again. LOL

    Adhd kids are so much fun, once you get past the stigma. Depending on the type he has, there are different coping strategies. Each case is different, so do not try to "cookie cutter" his case. Along with medication (if needed), you can get yourself informed on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which can help both of you. Also, remember to give more emphasis on when he gets things right, as opposed to when he gets it wrong. Behavior and chore charts with gold stars are a great tool. He can see what is expected and see the results when he accomplishes a task. Be prepared to remind him gently several times. By the way, he will need his mind to be challenged. Adhd kids are extremely intelligent, and can become destructive and disruptive when bored.
    Hang in there, it may be a challenge, but it is well worth the trouble. Adhd, is just a thing. It can be lived with and can also be helpful when corralled the right way. I'll be watching for your post. Let us know how things are going.

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.