Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD, MEdications issues and dangerous dose levels
michael2k100 posted:
HI,

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with ADHD when i was 7. I have been on concerta for 17 years now, i am prescribed 54 mg a day. Over the past few years I have tried to restrict use to only when i feel i need it as i feel it doesnt make me the most personable. Work is a struggle at times with out but i can get through it.

However, during periods of revision for exams, i most definitely need it. Although last august when i was revising for a period of a month i started to notice i built up a tolerance, i was taking up to 162mg a day, and then maybe 20 mg of ritalin in evening.

I am now back revising and i have notice that this is got even worse, Today 216 mg of concerta and 30 mg of ritalin to get me through revision. I am taking these doses daily atm. When i was at University 90mg would have easily got me through a day. I dont understand the fact that i have been taking a conistent dose for 15 years and now over the past year, my tolerance has just gone through the roof.

Could someone give me some advice on why this is and what i should do? Should i ask my doctor about switching medications?

I am worried that i may be taking a dangerous amount. However, i have important exams in 2weeks, so i really do need it.

Please help,

Thanks

Michael

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.