Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How can you be sure of ADHD?
HMMRA posted:
Hi, I'm a first year in Pharmacy school, and let me tell you it wasn't easy getting in. Throughout my childhood I've had the attention span of a gold fish, but somehow I've managed to get decent grades throughout middle, junior high school, in high school I got into the IGCSE system, although things like chemistry, biology, math, and physics came somewhat easily to me, the same problems i had during my childhood happened, the short attention span, the day dreaming, the procrastination, the mood swings, not to mention the impatience and irritability I had when my parents or siblings talk to me (I still do but to a lesser extent). I even had to repeat a couple of subjects due to my "inadequacy", my parents believe it was due (partly, to be honest) fencing practice, it took up time. Then finally i got into college, I decided I would make a fresh start, and study at the beginning of the term, things were okay at first, but then my concentration dropped, I no longer had the ability to focus for five minutes in a lecture, and ended up with an average of C- in the first semester. Then one day while i was browsing through 9gag they had this comic about ADHD, then it hit me "What if i had ADHD all this time?" so I started looking up the symptoms and I found that most of them match my case (fidgeting, forgetfulness, mood swings, attention span, frustration, low self esteem, etc.,) i was always flustered that, even though i'm smart enough to get into a high school system & college that requires high intellect (i scored 154 on my IQ, and that was three years ago), i find myself lacking, especially when i comparing myself to my friends who have an average of A's and A-'s. Several times I tried to approach my parents with the subject of going to a doctor, but i end up not doing so, because i worry that they either tell me it's stress or that they would overreact with worry. So I'm asking you, how do i know that i have ADHD? I took the test on the website, it says i have a strong probability of having it, but i want to make sure (so far i'm like 80% sure, considering the fact that i have a final i haven't studied for before in two days and here i am surfing the web aimlessly). thank you for taking the time to read this

mattthecat responded:
Welcome HMMRA. I think you answered your own question the only real way to figure out what the problem is would be to see a doctor. When I got diagnosed with ADD I to thought it was ADHD one of the two at least. Although I cheated I skipped my family doctor and went to a mental health clinic. It was a one stop shop they had a doctor, psychiatrists, and councilors wright in one office I new something was not wright and i wanted to put a name to it. The staff at the clinic helped me do that. I live in a huge metropolitan area and got lucky enough for there to be a mental health clinic in driving distance.
By the way the symptoms you describe can spill over to other mental Illness and even a physical illness or two. I never went to college but I have come to the place were you are I knew I could do better but I kept being slowed down down by something i was pretty sure i have but could not prove it. If you do have ADD/ADHD there are medicines that can help.
If you become brave enough to see a doctor, get diagnosed re post and if you are interested I could give you pointers on how to cope. This is a very workable illness and there are a ton of things that can be done to get through ADD and ADHD. Good luck and I hope you figure this out soon.

Matt

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.