Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    child with adhd and extreme behavior issues!
    Hoozi posted:
    my son was diagnosed a little over a year ago with adhd!! since then we have been in and out of his pediatricians office! we have tried different medications with no help! he had to repeat kindergarten twice and just finished 1st grade but struggled the whole way. He still cant concentrate, disrupts others and is having problems with reading and math! also at home everyday is a constant struggle. he is constantly stealing things he shouldn't and when confronted he lies about what he has done!! we have tried all different types of punishment but to no avail as well! I feel very frustrated and sad everyday! I am beginning to wonder if he has other mental issues too besides the adhd or if this is an extreme case and we just don't know how to deal with him! I want him to be a constructive little boy and to grow up and be somebody. I am so worried that the way he is going right now at 7 years of age that he will do something really bad and get into big trouble. is there anyone out there that is dealing with a similar child and can offer some insight on how to deal, I am at my whits end!! thank you!!
    momuv4girls responded:
    Oh, gosh, I really feel for you, I understand how exhausting a child like this can be!!!!

    First off, since what you're doing isn't working (and it sounds like you've really tried) - then you need to try a different approach.

    I would highly, highly recommend you finding a smart, board certified child psychiatrist to give your son a thorough evaluation.
    You may be correct that there are other mental health issues going on, and children are complex little creatures who need a specialist treating them.

    Here is a link to find a child psychiatrist in your area:

    You need support and guidance, because you are right, as time goes on, without proper treatment, your son's behavior will likely get worse and worse.

    I'm glad you wrote, take care and write back anytime!

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Cold hands from adderall for my add
    How do I get my hands not to be freezing from adderall? More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 0 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.