Skip to content
add
kevinstow1184 posted:
im 28 and i was just diagnosed with adult onset add my dr put me on addrell 20mg once a day and it helps but it does last very long does anyone have any sugestions i could talk to my dr about something that last longer

jselleck responded:
kevinstow1184 I have never pushed medicine on my psychiatrist I told my psychiatrist about my problems and she changed my medicine according to my concerns. Many of the medicines are heavy duty stimulants that are highly regulated by the government as prescribed narcotics. So i have been very careful not to come off as if i am drug seeking. I focus on the illness and let my doc take care of the rest.
Sorry i could not be more help but if you do not trust your doc you may want to get a second opinion. I my self use a psychiatrist.

Matt

mattthecat replied to jselleck's response:
kevinstow1184 Sorry in my first post I used my wife's account bymistake. here is how it should look. I have never pushed medicine on my psychiatrist I told my psychiatrist about my problems and she changed my medicine according to my concerns. Many of the medicines are heavy duty stimulants that are highly regulated by the government as prescribed narcotics. So i have been very careful not to come off as if i am drug seeking. I focus on the illness and let my doc take care of the rest.
Sorry i could not be more help but if you do not trust your doc you may want to get a second opinion. I my self use a psychiatrist.

Matt

DenverADD responded:
Ask about extended release Adderall. In my experience, it certainly lasts longer and I didn't have to raise my dose when I switched, in fact, I lowered it. However, I did run into sleep problems because of the prolonged release and switched back to the regular kind.

You can also ask about dividing the dose or raising the dose. I started at 10mg twice a day.

Now I take 40mg at 7am and another 20 mg six hours later.

Unfortunately, I did hit a point where going beyond 60mg was counterproductive. So when the med starts to lose its effectiveness I find that a four day break once or twice a month does the trick.

DenverADD responded:
Ask about Adderall extended release. I found it lasts about twice as long as the regular kind and at the same dosage.

You can also ask about dividing your dose. Which is really common. And even increasing your dose. Since your're new to the drug your doc is probably seeing how you will react.

Just because Adderall is a controlled substance doesn't mean you shouldn't voice your questions and concerns. It was prescribed to you for an approved condition at a therapeutic dose.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.