What to do if you have adhd but are a drug addict
An_250153 posted:
HI

My boyfriend is a drug addict and is in recovery but for pain pills such as oxy. He has terrible add and used to be prescribed to add meds when he was a kid. What can a drug addict do or take to help him succeed in life with out becoming addicted to another prescription.

Thank you

mattthecat responded:
Welcome An_250153 . There are lots of behavior modifications also known as mind tricks that could help him. Also caffeine can help for some people. I have also heard that fish oil may have some affect also. I my self have had a professional counselor to coach me on my symptoms and hold me accountable to try to work on countering my symptoms with behavior adjustments or mind tricks.
Other then that he should get with his doctor and see if there is any medication he can take without sacrificing his progress with beating his addiction.

I hope things get better for both of you soon.

Matt

DDDDoug responded:
Check out my Post. By the way, I trust your boyfriend was using oxy for real pain management. If so ther is very little chance to no chance of any addiction issues with stimulants even if he abused oxy etc. The daily max. dose of stimulants are NOT addictive.

Hope this helps

demonchaste responded:
adhd is evidenced by a low production of dopamine. Dope is short for dopamine, as most drugs increase the production of dopamine causing the euphoric feelings, including opiates, the classification of which oxycontin is a part.
Psychostimulants such as adderall and dexedrine are amphetamines, and desoxyn is literally methamphetamine, along with ritalin, all have a potential for abuse, but usually if taken for adhd the effects of countering the symptoms far outweigh the negative, as studies indicate a lower occurrence of drug abuse in kids that were diagnosed with adhd and medicated at an early age.
It took me about a year to not feel as if I was "slipping" as a recovering addict of 10 years when I was diagnosed with inattentive type adhd in 1997 and put on desoxyn, but the relief and subsequent diminishment of the symptoms has changed my life for the better, and I have had no desire to use other drugs.
enlightenment is realized and not something you can learn. Teachers can point only point you in the right direction, when attained, you realize that everything in this world is in perfect harmony.