Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to increase my dosage, regardless of my weight
Anon_105181 posted:
Hello!
I am a 34yr petite female. I was diagnosed 4yrs ago with ADHD.
After 4 months of drug experimenting I thought I was "fixed" with
Adderall capsule ( 60mg). A few months later I received a letter
from my shrink. She was ending my treatment plan due to her
discovery of her" fill-in" prescribing me Xanax (0.5) for my
panic attacks/general anxiety.( I hadn't ASKED for Xanax I had just stated how my nerves were shot.)

Now I see my family physician for my Adderrall and Xanax as long
as I promise to SPACE out my dosage.
Based on my weight (115 lbs) my Dr. has a hard time believing I need to be back on 60mg instead of the two 20mg tablets which do not work long enough. ALSO I suffer with chronic pain due to 4 bulging discs and accidently noticed the Adderall doubled as a pain pill.
Was wondering if Adderall can also treat chronic pain, and how I can increase my dosage. I was never told, but I believe I have moderate to severe ADHD and most likely ADD but with fewer symptoms. My mind feels like a mouse caught in a maze and it
is causing havoc on my marriage, I feel I am at my last rope....

ADDwarrior5 responded:
Well, I really feel for you "Anon", I know how frustrating ADD can be. I am sure my wife knows the frustration too! I'm 38 and have been on meds for about 8 years now, they made a huge difference for me. I'm currently on 50 mg Vyvanse.

As for increasing your dose, it amazes me that your Dr won't increase the dose if you're telling them that the two 20mg's are not working. I see a therapist and in my last visit he was lamenting the fact that many Dr's are now reluctant to deal with ADD patients/meds. One obvious suggestion would be to switch Dr's, I think you might be able to do some research and find Dr's in your area that may specialize in treatment of ADD. If you happen to be in the Philadelphia area I can make some suggestions.

Also, just today I saw something called the "Dore Program" for treatment of ADD without the use of meds. They have locations in TX and MS, other than that I don't know anything about it. I sent them an inquiry today for more information, I will pass along whatever info I find on that. You can Google it, and their email is mississippi@doreusa.com

Good luck!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.