Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
working grave yard shift and taking adderall xr 30mg
fixerman1958 posted:
Is this going to be a problem taking my meds now at night. I have been taking for 10 years during the daytime.I am worried about overlap on taking my meds. I am not a night person either. Do I have any options?

Gina Pera responded:
Is it absolutely mandatory that you work the graveyard shift?

Establishing a stable circadian rhythm (the body's internal clock) can be a challenge for many people with ADHD. Working odd hours might make it more challenging.

If you must do it, then try to ease into the new waking-sleeping routine gradually, advancing the time you go to sleep/arise an hour or two at a time.

As for your medication, I can't imagine why taking it during your work hours is a problem. The night will become your "work day" and if you've taken the medication for your work day to this point, there shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck!
Gina Pera

fixerman1958 replied to Gina Pera's response:
The other problem is that I am a early riser. I take one pill at 6:00 am and than my second pill at 2:30 pm to get me threw the afternoon and evening. I do have second job doing my handyman business after I get off my job now. I also know that when i try to take a vacation on my med I get back headache. By switching time could this bring headache on too.

Gina Pera replied to fixerman1958's response:
fixerman,

I'm not sure what to say.

The important thing is that you don't use the Adderall to push yourself beyond your endurance and get more hours out of each day.

You're going to have to carefully think about how you will adjust taking your medication to accommodate the graveyard shift. And you will need to establish a regular sleep schedule.

I encourage you to talk with your physician about this.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.