Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Need to be more alert
An_253327 posted:
I am 50 yrs old and as a child was hyperactive in all aspects now I only have one sign and that is that I still talk fast when excited. Now if I take anything that treats this problem the medical effects are the same ie.. lethargic, everything slows down ect.
My problem is this, I work 3rd shift and sometimes need a pick me up, something to make me more mentally alert. but anything that has a stimulant in it like coffee, energy drinks all dang near put me to sleep. Does anyone know what I can take, to wake my up.
Gina Pera responded:
Hi An,

This is a complex question.

The fact that coffee and energy drinks make you sleep could well indicate that you are sleep-deprived.

Stimulants can have that effect on some people with ADHD who have sometimes gone without sleep their entire lives. They help them to "focus" on going to sleep, to stop the "noise" in their brains and go to sleep.

So, it might be that you have ADHD. If that is the case, you need to approach treatment in a more integrated way -- not just taking a "pick me up" to get you through the third shift.

Treating ADHD would mean taking stimulant medication (in both cases) and optimizing other lifestyle factors, such as getting exercise, eating a healthy diet, and getting regular (and sufficient) sleep.

I hope this helps.
Gina Pera

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love @business@home@marriage@inter caste@vashikaran@problem solution baba ji +91-9815934087
@india best astrologer +91-9815934087 1. Business related problems.2. Husband and wife relationship.3. Be free from enemy / 2nd wife 4. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.