Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Concerned of learning disability in 9 year old
    kyliesmom posted:
    Good morning. My fiance and I are having an issue with his 9 year old son. He is repeating 3rd grade and has been moved to a charter school because he failed last year. He has only been going for a month or so in the new school year and is already failing again. We do all of his homework with him and he does have trouble with neatness, putting capital letters in the middle of words, forgetting to write his name on the paper, forgetting to copy his spelling words off the board, has issues with telling time and knowing any time management, he is a very sensitive kid when it comes to other kids poking any fun at him or even when he gets a talking to from his dad...he instantly pouts and cries in a corner. He also does that when any other kid in the family gets attention from his dad or grandma. He is extremely smart and is a wiz with video games and the computer. He has a great imagination and can create things with legos like no kid I have ever met. My concern in that I don't think he has a learning disability necessarily because he is great at things he likes. He has trouble focusing on anything, including us telling him to go take a shower. He will just start looking around or fidget with his eraser on his pencil. He gets easily distracted and then will hide homework and progress reports. My fiance has tried taking xbox and things away and that doesn't work. I just want some advice on how we get him to care and pay attention or if this may be some kind of learning disability. His pediatrician didn't think he had one but said to revisit with her when he gets his first report card. I don't want it to get that far. Any help would be appreciated:) Thanks!
    momuv4girls responded:
    Well, it seems as though something is going on - especially because you note, he is repeating 3rd grade.

    I think it would be in your step-son's best interest to have the school district test him (at their expense) and find out exactly what is going on.

    You will need to request in writing to the Principal of his school (it is a public Charter school, right?), and they have by law 60-days to respond. After all the testing is done, you should then have an idea about what accommodations the school can offer your step-son so he can succeed and feel good about himself.

    There is a lot of info on this - so you'll need to do some research and talk to people, but the first step is to write a letter requesting the testing.

    I will paste some links for you to explore..............

    Just a side note here ...... getting an IEP for your son doesn't mean he will be in "special ed" necessarily - it just means the school by law must provide services and devise an education plan specifically for him.

    I hope this helps! Take care,

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
    Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    10 of 11 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.