Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Concerned of learning disability in 9 year old
kyliesmom posted:
Good morning. My fiance and I are having an issue with his 9 year old son. He is repeating 3rd grade and has been moved to a charter school because he failed last year. He has only been going for a month or so in the new school year and is already failing again. We do all of his homework with him and he does have trouble with neatness, putting capital letters in the middle of words, forgetting to write his name on the paper, forgetting to copy his spelling words off the board, has issues with telling time and knowing any time management, he is a very sensitive kid when it comes to other kids poking any fun at him or even when he gets a talking to from his dad...he instantly pouts and cries in a corner. He also does that when any other kid in the family gets attention from his dad or grandma. He is extremely smart and is a wiz with video games and the computer. He has a great imagination and can create things with legos like no kid I have ever met. My concern in that I don't think he has a learning disability necessarily because he is great at things he likes. He has trouble focusing on anything, including us telling him to go take a shower. He will just start looking around or fidget with his eraser on his pencil. He gets easily distracted and then will hide homework and progress reports. My fiance has tried taking xbox and things away and that doesn't work. I just want some advice on how we get him to care and pay attention or if this may be some kind of learning disability. His pediatrician didn't think he had one but said to revisit with her when he gets his first report card. I don't want it to get that far. Any help would be appreciated:) Thanks!

momuv4girls responded:
Well, it seems as though something is going on - especially because you note, he is repeating 3rd grade.

I think it would be in your step-son's best interest to have the school district test him (at their expense) and find out exactly what is going on.

You will need to request in writing to the Principal of his school (it is a public Charter school, right?), and they have by law 60-days to respond. After all the testing is done, you should then have an idea about what accommodations the school can offer your step-son so he can succeed and feel good about himself.

There is a lot of info on this - so you'll need to do some research and talk to people, but the first step is to write a letter requesting the testing.

I will paste some links for you to explore..............
http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/add.index.htm

http://www.sheknows.com/how-to/articles/955753/how-to-get-an-iep-for-your-child-special-ed

Just a side note here ...... getting an IEP for your son doesn't mean he will be in "special ed" necessarily - it just means the school by law must provide services and devise an education plan specifically for him.

I hope this helps! Take care,
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love problems solution baba ji +91-9888401510
Get all solutions in your life within 48 hours and with 100% guaranteed. With in astrology systematic call to guru ji +91 9888401510 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.