Skip to content
Son has ADHD - Impulsiveness
robo210 posted:
Hi. My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is now starting to have violent behavior. His temper goes off at a moment's notice. He is currently taking Strattera 40 mg. Has anyone else's child had adverse eeffects like this. It is really scaring us. We are weaning him off of the medicine at his doctor's advice.
momuv4girls responded:
Yes, I have heard of a medication making a child worse - and that's good his Dr. is taking him off the Strattera.

Sometimes it takes a few med trials to find one that works well.

Hopefully your son's Dr. is an ADHD specialist, or a Child Psychiatrist, because side-effects are very important to monitor.

Unfortunately, the medication process is often trial and error - - -
Not sure how old your son is, but hopefully the school is on board and helpful during this process.

Take care,
robo210 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thanks Kathleen.
uniwolf77 replied to robo210's response:
I my son will be 4 in 5 days. He has had major outburst and has hurt children at three different childcare centers in two cities (my husband was recently transferred to a new city with a big promotion). When he does not get his way, he hits (with a closed fist), kicks, bites, scratches, screams etc. I have the marks and bruises to show for it. We have taken away privileges, TV, toys, games, etc, We have stopped spanking because when we did something he thought was wrong he spanked me!
I am a professional, journalist and teacher, my Mother worked in a the behavior unit of the school district I graduated from. We don't know what to do.

I don't want him to get any worse than he is. My Father calls him hot and cold running water, fine one second, scalding the next.
I have been told that he is to young for med, time-outs, and other things are not working.
Does anyone have any safe natural supplements?
momuv4girls replied to uniwolf77's response:
I would encourage you to have your son evaluated by a Child Psychiatrist.

From your description, this does not sound like your "typical" ADHD.

I can guarantee that this behavior will not go away - he will not out-grow it - it will not stop without really good professional intervention.

I urge you to find a top-notch, smart Child Psychiatrist to help your son, he is counting on you to help him.

Take care!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.