Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Son has ADHD - Impulsiveness
robo210 posted:
Hi. My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and is now starting to have violent behavior. His temper goes off at a moment's notice. He is currently taking Strattera 40 mg. Has anyone else's child had adverse eeffects like this. It is really scaring us. We are weaning him off of the medicine at his doctor's advice.
momuv4girls responded:
Yes, I have heard of a medication making a child worse - and that's good his Dr. is taking him off the Strattera.

Sometimes it takes a few med trials to find one that works well.

Hopefully your son's Dr. is an ADHD specialist, or a Child Psychiatrist, because side-effects are very important to monitor.

Unfortunately, the medication process is often trial and error - - -
Not sure how old your son is, but hopefully the school is on board and helpful during this process.

Take care,
robo210 replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thanks Kathleen.
uniwolf77 replied to robo210's response:
I my son will be 4 in 5 days. He has had major outburst and has hurt children at three different childcare centers in two cities (my husband was recently transferred to a new city with a big promotion). When he does not get his way, he hits (with a closed fist), kicks, bites, scratches, screams etc. I have the marks and bruises to show for it. We have taken away privileges, TV, toys, games, etc, We have stopped spanking because when we did something he thought was wrong he spanked me!
I am a professional, journalist and teacher, my Mother worked in a the behavior unit of the school district I graduated from. We don't know what to do.

I don't want him to get any worse than he is. My Father calls him hot and cold running water, fine one second, scalding the next.
I have been told that he is to young for med, time-outs, and other things are not working.
Does anyone have any safe natural supplements?
momuv4girls replied to uniwolf77's response:
I would encourage you to have your son evaluated by a Child Psychiatrist.

From your description, this does not sound like your "typical" ADHD.

I can guarantee that this behavior will not go away - he will not out-grow it - it will not stop without really good professional intervention.

I urge you to find a top-notch, smart Child Psychiatrist to help your son, he is counting on you to help him.

Take care!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.