Skip to content
Help I can't sleep!
ArtsyMcBubbles posted:
My doctor prescribed me Adderall XR 10 mg and I find it absolutely hard to fall asleep at night. I usually get about 2-3 hours of sleep. Does this side effect go away? What can induce sleep because melatonin does not work for me.

choo_chu responded:
You should really talk to your doctor about your insomnia because they'll be able to help you figure out why you're having difficulties sleeping. Once they figure that out, they can give you a helpful medication.

Your insomnia could be due to anxiety, which is a side-effect of stimulants. A drug like Valium, Xanax or Seroquel will ease your anxiety and you'll sleep like a baby. I'd opt for a small dose of Seroquel because you won't develop a tolerance to it. If your insomnia isn't due to anxiety, something like Ambien, Lunesta or Sonata might help.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.