Skip to content
How did you make ADHD work for you? Advantages?
mbeetlebug posted:
Hi everyone.

I am curious, I know there are many things that are hard to deal with, having ADHD, like impulsiveness, restlessness, etc. Yet, I began to speculate and began to explore what having it has done for me in terms of success, thus prompting me to ask:

I was just wondering, what are the advantages to your having ADHD?

I am a positive thinker and have tried for 12 years to try to make positive out of ADHD. In the past, I had found myself focusing too much on the negatives or the inconveniences of ADHD. I found that the negativity or my lack of acceptance did not help...thus the change and journey to discover how to try making it work for me...does that make sense?

I have made it work to my advantage a lot. I find it helps me to focus on the positives of whatever happens or what I have had, like ADHD.

I believe creativeness is not a symptom, but a quality of those of us with ADHD. I am so creative and have learned to use my restless nature to create and write. I love the curiosity I have from hyperactive thoughts. What are your theories on this thought? It has taken a long time to make much of my ADHD work for me. I have never let ADHD define me, I defined who I was because I have ADHD.

I am wondering, how you all made the symptoms and qualities work for you today? What did you do besides meds (thank the heavens for them, lol. ) to overcome your ADHD or change the things it created that caused problems or inconveniences? Did you seek any support groups? How has having ADHD worked in your favor? How has it changed your life for the positive? What are some things about your ADHD you would not trade?

I am almost done with my psychology degree at 52, my second career. I nursed for over 20 years. I plan to either become a clinical counselor or a clinical psychologist. ADHD's hyper- focusing has allowed me or helped me with the dreaded algebra... I start on algebra equations and keep going, and it helps. I never dreamed I could conquer math. I love the energy, which has decreased some now though, to allow me to start a new career and I plan to get my psyD eventually. Boy, there was a time when I would have done almost anything for an ADHD coach. But, I had good therapists who helped and I learned everything I could about it.

I have had an adult or two tell me there is no such thing as adult ADHD, wow. I was floored by that. I have not conquered everything of course, but I still try to focus on the good.
Does anyone else find that helpful with ADHD?

I hope to hear from you all on the advantages and how you feel or know how you have made ADHD work in your favor and the positive sides of it for you. God Bless.

Stay in the Sunlight
My Best,
Mary

"In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life. It goes on." --Robert Frost

P.S. I love quotes and collect them. Does anyone know any about ADD or ADHD?

biancalthompson responded:
I was diagnosed with ADHD about three years ago. I did start medicine and behavioral therapy, not really my idea, but I was willing to give it a go. That last about a year before I decided that the drugs and therapy were doing little to help me. I have since learned to use lists and schedules. I love how much energy I have. I work in healthcare and around children all the time. I am called the energizer bunny, lol. I chose not to have a desk job because I know I can't sit still at a desk for 9 hours a day and not want to pull my hair out, I have been writing poetry since I was 15, I love to draw and its usually the only thing I can focus on. I am great at multitasking,

mbeetlebug replied to biancalthompson's response:
Thanks for the reply. I used to be called the tazmanian girl. I love poetry as well, and I write and journal a lot. If I I have to sit at a desk for a while I end up hyper focusing. Have a great day, nice to "meet" you. Mary

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Swearing
Do I ingnore my 9 year old son when he swears. He has started doing it all the time. He doesn't do it at school just at home. I think he is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.