Skip to content
Adderall XR not working for my ADD
freo02 posted:
I was 30 yrs of age when I started taking 20 mg of Adderall XR every day to treat my attention deficit disorder. Before I started taking this medicine, my thoughts were all over the place and it was very difficult for me to focus and stay on task. My energy level was so low; getting out of bed each morning required several minutes of internal coaxing just to sit up and start the day. My motivation was non-existent. I noticed a huge difference about 2 hrs. after I took the first pill. I had so much energy. I could focus and not get distracted by the littlest thing. It was amazing, but about a week and a half into to taking the meds it just seemed like it stopped working. The only side effects I had were not sleeping a lot, (4 hrs a night) but when I woke up I felt refreshed and my appetite was gone that's it. I called my doctor and asked if I could double up on my medication and he said yes, so then I was taking 40 mg Adderall XR everyday for two weeks. Still nothing just not sleeping a lot and I went from eating twice a day to once a day. Then he prescribed me Ritalin LA 30 mg. I took one everyday for 2 weeks and it did nothing I got my appetite back. I went back to the way I was before I took the Adderall XR 20 mg. Now I'm on Adderall XR 30 mg and I feel nothing. I sleep as long as I want eat whenever. I don't no what's going on. I don't no if I have a high tolerance for medication or what. Can someone help me out?

An_254168 responded:
I too feel like my Adderall 30 XR is not working. I do have the energy when I take it, in fact I feel hyper. I will talk almost non stop. I take it mostly when I go to work, being home two days a week is like a break from taking the medicine every day. One of my friends are on vyvance and it has helped her out. I would like to be able to take something that doesn't make me hyper and just be able to focus on my tasks. A Dr. told me awhile back with my son, If you are A.D.H.D. and take Ritalin, it will calm down the hyperness. If you are A.D.D. and take Ritalin without hyperness it will make you hyper. I'm not sure this is true. Anyone out there with any ideas? Thank You

freo02 replied to An_254168's response:
I've been on the Adderall xr 30 for about 2 weeks now after Taking Adderall xr 20 and Ritalin la 30 and them not working. The only things I've noticed is my appetite is gone sometimes and I drink a lot of water. Some days I'll eat whenever and how much I want and the other days I'll eat maybe twice a day and sleeping as long as I want. That's it, no energy, no help with concentration or anything else. I've talked to a few people and they told me to open up the capsule and just pore the little beads on your tongue and drink with water. I did that and it worked for a few days and one day it just stopped. I even opened two capsules and pored the 1 and added a 1/4 of the other capsule with it. I felt hardly anything. The next few days I pored 1 1/2 on my tongue and it made me sick a little, so I didn't do that again. I'm getting tired of having to pay the doc every time I go see him and him telling me try this try that. I'm really getting tired of having to pay for the meds and them not working. I'll call the doc and talk to his nurse and all she'll tell me you need to schedule a appointment and talk to the doc. I've done that 3 times now. I don't no if I should just try another doc or what. Is anyone else having this problem? If so let me know what you did.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.