Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please tell me where to start...
imapoboy2 posted:
I am concerned, frustrated, and in search of a starting point to determine and hopefully diagnose whatever it is affecting my ability to remember, to focus, and to be able to function day to day without having to rely on committing simple things to habit in order to insure it gets done. At times I get so "scatter-brained" that it becomes difficult to align and prioritze simple daily functions. There are times I can't sit still, and times I don't want to get up. I just don't know what to do!

I personally have a history of events including heart surgery, combat related depression and anxiety; plus a family history of alcoholism, dimentia and ADHD. I'm a 45 year old male who refuses to believe it's simply age.

I have finally overcome the denial of possibly having an undiagnosed condition, therefore I am begging for advice on where to start.

dutchgirlie67 responded:
I'm a 46 yr old female, don't have PTSD, but do suffer from depression and anxiety, and do have a family history of alcoholism and ADD. In fact, when my sister (at the age of 60) and her 2 daughters were diagnosed with ADD, my sister told me to get an assessment also, because she thought I had it, too. My previous psychiatrist laughed in my face when I asked him 2 yrs ago and told me it was "just" depression and wrote some more prescriptions, which didn't help. I still kick myself for not pushing it any further, because I could have saved myself at least 1.5 yrs of enormous trouble.Unfortunately, at that time, I was soo depressed that I didn't push anything!

Fast forward 1.5 yrs, after a suicide attempt (which resulted in a voluntary 72hr stay at a mental hospital, which was more directed towards addiction/detoxing than any other mental problems) and a move back to what I call home these days, at the beginning of this year, I , at some point, once again sought help by checking myself into another hospital. This hospital was actually mostly geared towards mental problems and helped me so much. The psychiatrist there and I were talking one day (I had never mentioned ADD to him) about how I react to hydrocodone, which I take for my migraines. For me, hydrocodone acts like speed. He started asking me all kinds of questions, and at the end he told me that I am ADD. That was in April, and I have been on Ritalin since then! I can't start to tell you what a difference it has made!

My point here is that if you have ADHD running in the family, there is a very good chance that you have it too! My advice would be to find someone who can test you for it and take that test! In all my 46 years, I never even thought about me having ADD. I recognized it in other people, but never even considered the thought I could have until I heard from my sister.

Get tested! Usually therapists can do that, but you'll have to find one that is specialized in that area! I found someone to have my son tested through the therapist I'm seeing myself! Maybe the VA can help you find someone!

I hope I helped you at least a little bit with my reply, if nothing else, at least the knowledge that you are not alone in how you feel! Hang in there!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love problems solution baba ji +91-9888401510
Get all solutions in your life within 48 hours and with 100% guaranteed. With in astrology systematic call to guru ji +91 9888401510 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.