Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
New to this- unsure what to do.
cmuse posted:
My 8 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD and after going to therapy they have suggested he goes on medication. I've always had trouble with his over activeness but I never thought my baby would need to be medicated. I've heard all the bad side efffects and reasons not to put him on the meds but I also know that he is now a whole year behind in school and is struggling a lot. My friends and family say I shouldn't put him on the meds but I really don't know. One of my friends suggested I find some other parents with children who have adhd so this is my attempt to do that. Some one anyone please help me..... what should I do??

momuv4girls responded:
I would find a really good, really smart, board certified child psychiatrist to evaluate your son for a second opinion.

Medicating a child can be trial and error with medication, and you need someone who knows their stuff !
Side effects often happen and finding a Dr. you can count on over the years will be important.

As for school - - your son may need an IEP to get him accommodations. Has the school mentioned an IEP, or 504 before?

Here is a link to explore also:
http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_teaching_strategies.htm

Lastly, I would keep this guy active. Hopefully there are some sports he enjoys playing? Keeping him active is really helpful in reducing some of the ADHD symptoms.

Take care!
-Kathleen

Gina Pera responded:
Kathleen has offered some good advice.

I would ignore the advice of friends and family who might mean well. You are the mother and in charge of helping your child.

If you'd like to talk to other parents face-to-face, check to see if there is a CHADD chapter in your area. All chapters are run by volunteers, so it varies. Go to this site and look on the right, where it says CHADD Resource Directory, and click on the scroll-down menu.

http://www.chadd.org/

CHADD also offers an online Parent to Parent course. It is taught by volunteers, typically mothers who were once like you in wondering how they could best help their children.

http://www.chadd.org/Training-Events/Parent-to-Parent-Program.aspx

Good luck!

Gina Pera

mindarts responded:
Neurofeedback and the ROSHI system are excellent ways of treating people with ADHD. I have been doing this for 18 years and find it quite effective. You can search on neurofeedback or ROSHI and I think you will learn a lot.
Best regards
Ron Kerner, Ph.D.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.