Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Pediatrician will not diagnose ADHD/ADD
    szehlius posted:
    My son is 7 years old and we have always noticed that he's extremely hyperactive. I took him to see the pediatrician last year and was told to wait and see how he does in school. He's been getting bad behavior reports daily. I went to see his teacher and she said she feels very strongly that he has ADHD. He doesn't do anything malicious, but he can't control himself, unable to sit still, jumping around, rolling on the floor and constantly talking out of turn. She said he's very intelligent and can read a book 6 levels above where he should be in 1st grade. However, he has no memory of what he reads. She's concerned he's going to get behind in skills that need reading comprehension. After she voiced her concern to me I called the pediatrician. She had said doctors send in a questionnaire for the teacher to fill out to diagnose ADHD. The pediatrician said he doesn't do that. My son needs to see a psychiatrist first. Every psychiatrist in my area and even an hour from here has no appointments until May. He's struggling in school and I don't want it to continue like this until then! Has anyone else had their child diagnosed by a pediatrician or does there always have to be psychiatrist involved to make the final diagnosis and treat?
    momuv4girls responded:
    I think its wise of your son's pedi not to diagnose something he is not an "expert" in.

    Not sure about where you live, but is there a teaching Hospital around? Often times Hospitals have programs that treat / diagnose children.

    I would also do a lot of research in finding a Child Psychiatrist - make sure they are board certified. You can always ask to be put on a "cancellation" list at the various Psychiatrist offices.
    I too travel far to see my daughter's Dr. - often times that is the case.

    Take care!
    Gina Pera responded:
    Hi there,

    I sympathize with your situation.

    Has your pediatrician done thorough metabolic workups to rule out other conditions that could be causing this behavior?

    Is it possible that your child isn't getting enough sleep, due to not going to bed earlier enough perhaps? Are there chemicals and fragrances in the home that could be having a neurocognitive adverse effect?

    We always want to be prudent in seeking to identify the cause of such behaviors. And your pediatrician should be your ally in all possible causes, including psychiatric ones. The brain is a vital organ; it's not a "mental thing." For your pediatrician to dismiss your queries by saying he "doesn't do that" without being able to guide you to a referral, I would be concerned with what else he is missing about your child's health. I would also be concerned that he doesn't "believe" in ADHD, which would indicate medical ignorance.

    I would get the earliest appointment you can with a psychiatrist who has knowledge of ADHD. Don't count on every psychiatrist being familiar with it, because let me assure you: They are NOT.

    Once you have the appointment, ask that you be placed on a cancellation list in case there's an earlier opening.

    But do take some care in selecting the psychiatrist who would do the evaluation. You don't want to waste your time and money on someone who has no understanding in this area.

    Good luck!
    Gina Pera
    Gina Pera replied to momuv4girls's response:
    Another thought: Ask the teacher if she knows who other parents have seen for pediatric psychiatric care.
    mommyiam1 responded:
    I have a daughter and a nephew who are ADHD. My nephew sounds a lot like your son. Do you have a college close by? Yes, you do have to go to a psychiatrist;however, the ped should be able to get you into a good one. Mine did. and my ped controls my daughter's meds. I would push the pediatician or find a new one. He does need to have something to help him. Most ADHD kids, unfortunately are behind a little in school. That has been my experience. You have to fight for your son. If you love him, fight for what he needs.
    Gina Pera replied to mommyiam1's response:
    So true, mommyiam1. We really have to be advocates for our loved ones with ADHD.

    We want to be as educated as possible so we know when we are working with a competent care provider. And so that when we find that person, we can work together. It truly takes a team.

    Gina Pera
    pcctami15 responded:
    If your pediatrician does not work with ADHD children, find one that does. Working with a team of professionals that specialize in ADHD leads to greater success. I know how you want answers now, but it will not happen. Go to your childs school, work with the teachers and counselors, start a observation journal, use the library and internet to do some research on strategies. When you do get in to the psych, you will be ahead of the game and able to give valuable information to the doctor. Best of luck and it will get better.

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
    Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    31 of 33 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.