Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ADHD DOSAGE
proud_daddy posted:
my ex-wife keeps messing with my sons dosage of his adhd medicine dextroamphetamine is that safe? She on her own says i dont think that he needs his second dose if he is not in school. So every few days she is changing up his dosage.

biancalthompson responded:
No it is not safe to change the dosage of ADHD medications. Only a doctor can determine the correct dosage for a medication. Often these medications need to be slowly adjusted to avoid unwanted and dangerous side-effects. I would bring this to the attention of the doctor whom is treating the ADHD.

Gina Pera replied to biancalthompson's response:
I agree with biancalthompson.

Except I would say it is safe to adjust medication under certain circumstances and by small amounts, with the physician's go-ahead, but that doesn't sound like what's being done.

For example, before beginning medication, there is no way for the physician to know the appropriate dosage (or the appropriate type of stimulant) for that individual's neurochemistry.

It is by "starting low and titrating slow" that the most effective dosage is achieved.

But for a parent or caregiver to decide randomly that a dose of medication will not be given simply because the child is not in school? No, that's inappropriate. That can create a "roller coaster" cascade of changes throughout the brain and body. The best idea is consistency.

ADHD medications help with more than schoolwork. This unfounded myth is why there is so much stigma and confusion around ADHD. ADHD is a medical, physical condition, not a "behavioral" condition. There can be problems with social skills that are helped by medications but also dangers posed by risk-taking, neurospatial challenges (which perhaps result in more sports injuries), and even associations with asthma and allergies.

Good luck!
gina

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Teaching Your Child to Swallow a PillExpert
Many children (and adults) have difficulty swallowing pills. This often becomes critical as many long-acting medications can not be ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.