Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    med Strattera
    sissiegrl posted:
    can anyone help me with info on this med (Strattera)? My 13yo sons doctors are contemplating putting him on it now that he suffers concentration issues from a severe hear/brain injury.

Gina Pera responded:
    Hi sissie,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's head injury.

I've not heard of Strattera being used for the cognitive issues that can follow brain trauma. The stimulants, however, are often used in such cases and even in instances of "chemo fog" from cancer chemotherapy.

The stimulants include medications such as Ritalin, Concerta, Vyvanse, and the like.

Your physician should be able to explain to you the rationale for trying Strattera for your son.

Strattera is a medication that was developed as an anti-depressant but found to have little effectiveness. It was later adopted for its usefulness in treating certain symptoms of ADHD.

In my personal experience, from talking to many adults with ADHD and parents of children with ADHD, it helps less than the stimulants do when it comes to focus, concentration, etc. It does seem to help more with mood issues and sleep.

Some published literature, however, on Strattera shows it as being effective for ADHD symptoms.

So, the answer is: It helps some people and doesn't help others.

Best,
    Gina Pera

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
    Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    31 of 33 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.