Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
ADHD and pregnacy
amylynmcgill82 posted:
I have been suffering from ADHD since the age of10. Behavioral therapy and the right medication and dose have made my symptoms quite manageable. I am now 31 and I still suffer but over the years, therapy and medication adjustments have made the disease all but disappear. Until recently. I made the joyous discovery that I am expecting my first child. My doctor immediately took me off my ADHD med because it can be potentially harmful tomy unborn baby. I was taking 40 mg adderall xr every am supplemented by a 30 mg adderall immediate release tablet in the afternoon. For years this combination worked like a charm. Since I have come off my meds, the changes have been drastic. I feel like I have reverted back to my childhood ways. It is affecting almost every aspect of my life, especially my work. I am a nurse, and that requires my full concentration which, without my meds, is impossible. I have already been reprimanded by my supervisor for making stupid mistakes. My number 1 priority is the health and safety of my baby, but I was wonderin if there is anyone out there who has been through this n has any advice to offer. I tried talking to my doctor, but it seems like she is not taking my concerns seriously.

brantacanadensis responded:
Hi there,
I feel your pain! I know that ADHD symptoms can seriously impact work and home life. I have only been diagnozed with ADHD for 3 years, but am amazed at how much the correct medication can help (in my case, 40 mg Vyvanse). I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and decided - with my psychiatrist's and doctor's support, I might add, - to continue to take medications while pregnant. It is scary in a way, because yes, anything I take impacts my baby. However, there is research to suggest that therapeutic doses of stimulant medication are not harmful. Also consider that the stress and (in my case depression/anx.) caused by not managing ADHD symptoms can be worse for your baby's health than simply taking meds. Motherisk at Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children has a great round-up of the medical literature on the subject (http://www.motherisk.org/women/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=861).
Even if you don't take meds, it also might help to see if there is a doctor you can talk to who it feels like takes your concerns seriously! I wish you all the best - you're not alone!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

ADHD - Healing the Myth
Hi, This is a great video about the cause and natural solutions for ADHD that some very wise doctors are tuned into. You can view at ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.