Skip to content
How to go about talking to my doctor about adhd.
aur10555 posted:
hey all!
I'm just gonna cut to the chase, i have to leave for work soon. I'm 18 and my senior year is coming to a close. ever since i was little, i've been a handful in class. always hyper or talking to someone, never been able to focus on an assignment, and when i do, its not for that long. i find myself just staring around the classroom or looking out the window, or just spacing out when the teacher is giving a lesson. The fact that i ant concentrate has really been taking a toll on my grades. all of my friends are on adderall or some other alternative and they tell me how great its been for thwm and how much better they are focusing in class, or on the job, or just at home. I'm no doctor but i am pretty sure i have adhd. Anyways, one time around freshmen year, my aunt recommended speaking to a doctor about my situation. she even went as far as, with the consent of my mom, giving me an adderall she had for her son. I took it before school and i could see a huge difference in my behavior. i was calm, i was able to focus on an assignment for all of class, i could even find myself remembering information the teacher had given us at the beginning of the year.

But the thing is, i dont know how to talk to my doctor about it. I know that adderrall and its alternatives are in very tight control so i dont want to make him think i just want them because theyre just a drug. I really noticed a difference back then and i feel like a script could really benefit me and my future, as i do plan to attend college.

how can i go about this? what should i tell her if she asks whether or not i've taken adderrall or anything like it before?

my friend actually told me that he and his mother told a psychiatrist that he had been prescribed when he was younger (which he wasnt) and that since he stopped taking it, his grades have suffered. He said the doctor almost instantly prescribed him.

i have heard of testing facilities that can diagbose you, but there are none in my area.

any advice helps! thanks!

atti_editor responded:
Hi aur10555,

I suggest you make an appointment to talk with your doctor about your symptoms and concerns that you might have ADHD (your family physician should be qualified to do an ADHD evaluation). This article explains what is involved in an evaluation, and your doctor will also check to make sure your symptoms are not caused by some other medical issue. Here is another article about when to call a doctor about ADHD that might also be helpful for you.

Best wishes,
Atti

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How I explained ADHD tardiness to my angry wife
The back story here is my wife and I had been in a "discussion" for about a week. It was pretty intense. She was upset that I got home over ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.