Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Struggling Student with ADD
An_256433 posted:
Hi yall,

First of all, let me say that I am so glad that this community exists!

I am reaching out to this community because I am in the final leg of my online graduate program and I cannot seem to focus/attend enough to keep up. I failed my last class by 3 points and received no compassion even though I submitted every assignment, albeit late.

Anyway, I am looking for tips, strategies, and/or encouragement regarding how to harness my attention to complete rigorous assignments.

I take Vyvanse at 20mg/day which is insufficient. We reduced the potency in response to the hair shedding and moodiness. But at this point, taking two is the only way that I am sure to get work done.

Help yall! I need to graduate and I am really doubting myself.

With love and ADD,

ReadyFor30plus!!

Take the Poll

What is the best way to focus on big, difficult, uninteresting tasks?
  • Remove yourself from all distractions
  • Take breaks often
  • Multitask/Don't Give Up/Call On Your Support System
  • All of the above
  • Other
vote
View Poll Results

atti_editor responded:
Hello ReadyFor30plus and welcome to the community!

First of all, congratulations on being so close to completing your graduate program! I understand how hard it can be to concentrate and focus on the task at hand when there are so many distractions out there. This slideshow has some good tips on improving concentration and covers those things you listed in your poll. Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Atti

Gina Pera responded:
HI there,

If you are suffering from hair loss and moodiness on the Vyvanse, please find another physician who can help work out a better strategy.

These kind of side effects can indicate that there is a co-existing condition to ADHD. The stimulants alone can exacerbate the co-existing condition.

At least half of adults and children with ADHD have a co-existing condition, but many physicians do not understand this. That means consumers must educate themselves and advocate for themselves.

Good luck,
Gina

addcrusher replied to Gina Pera's response:
I'd like to echo what Gina said about possibly finding another physician. There are SOOOO many ADHD adults who assume that their doctor -- or any doctor -- is the final word on what's right for them, and not only don't get second opinions, but don't push back on their doctors to insist on trying new regimens.

It took me three go-rounds of medication combinations before my doc and I found the combination that has worked great for me for nearly 17 years.

And I want to congratulate and root for the grad student who started this thread. Best of luck!!!

Alan

mike_e replied to addcrusher's response:
Caffeine is a big help for me. Also I put on energetic music (dub-step for me, and yes I'm an adult and literally dance around my house for a few minutes. It helps get me energized and feeling in a good mood to tackle work.

mike_e replied to addcrusher's response:
I'm curious what regimen worked for you? I've tried Adderral and Vyvanse. Adderral works, but increased my blood pressure to an unhealthy level. Vyvanse made me feel very angry most of the time.

I hear about a non-stimulant (Strattera ). I'm going to ask my doctor about it next week. But, I'm just curious what worked for you so I can ask my doctor about that drug?

aidansmom49 responded:
Have you discussed your ADD with your teachers? My son has been at an LD school and one of the biggest hurdles is having him advocate for himself with his teachers in terms of getting extensions, managing tasks etc. They gave him extra time and extensions when he went there early enough in the semester to explain.
Overall, I think most teachers don't really understand how hard it is for people like you to get through tasks that are easy for others. Maybe describing what its like for you can help.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.