Skip to content
Misdiagnosed, bipolar?
sunshineangel posted:
Four years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and with very little progress. I have been on antidepressants and bipolar medications but they made me feel so bad and unlike myself that I was left feeling icky inside. After extensive and exhausting research I'm positive that I do not have bipolar disorder but instead I have adhd and have for years. Im upset that none of my doctors have considered this. My current psychiatrist ( I've seen for over a year) has said in her professional standpoint she cannot diagnose me with bipolar. I have brought up adhd and she wants to start Straterra, I have done the research and feel that I would better benefit from stimulants but she didnt seem to care what I thought. I have enough irritability on a daily basis and now im angry. Please anyone that can offer any help let me know.
momuv4girls responded:
Hi Sunshineangel,

As you probably have researched, ADHD is often a comorbid condition with bipolar, and its really important to have a skilled, experienced psychiatrist make a diagnosis.

It sounds reasonable to try Straterra, and if the trial fails, then move onto a stimulant.

Not sure if you are a male or female - but if you are a female, wondering if you had a full panel thyroid testing done?
If not, then maybe this angle should be explored.....
Here is a link:

This other link is about bipolar/adhd:

Hope you find some answers soon, and take care!

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Talk to your doctor about correct doseages
I have tried many variations of adderall (10 mg, 20 mg, 20 mgXR, etc) It took me about 2 years of trying different variations, but I have ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.