Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does she have ADD?
ladybugsmom02 posted:
My daughter was a top student throughout elem. school. Straight A's, winning awards, & so on. When she started Middle School, & in essence beginning puberty, she began displaying very obvious signs of depression, & was diagnosed with such, & started medicine. Her family history is dominant with mood disorders. It took several different meds, doctors, therapists, diagnosis, to get a few weeks at a time of improvement, & then it would get bad again. She has been in Magnet Schools for Middle, & now High School. She is barely passing, but getting through. Now I'm wondering if maybe she does in fact have ADD along with the depression. I've resisted that diagnosis thus far, but am so frustrated that we haven't been able to help my daughter to feel better. How do we figure out what is going on?

momuv4girls responded:
I understand how frustrating this is. Mood disorders often have the comorbid condition of AD(H)D and its difficult to tease out what's what.

A really good adolescent psychiatrist should be able to guide you......and even then there are bumps.

Is your daughters depression helped with meds? Has she ever trialed an AD(H)D medication?

-Kathleen

ladybugsmom02 replied to momuv4girls's response:
The meds. that she has been on for depression have only worked for a short period of time and then it stops working. Then the dosage is increased until it ultimately has to be changed. She was put on Ridalyn for a couple of weeks. Her psych. said that it would have started working by then if she did indeed have ADD. It did nothing for her, so we stopped. I didn't understand a lot about ADD at that time & was convinced that there was no way she had it. In Elem. school she was one of the top students in the entire school, all the way through. However, her therapist & myself were talking recently & I realized that all of this started about the time that she began puberty, which puts a totally different spin on things. Now, I'm starting to really believe that she must have ADD along with the depression. My heart breaks for her, b/c she doesn't understand what's wrong with her & why she can't seem to function normally anymore. I'm at such a loss & feel so helpless.

momuv4girls replied to ladybugsmom02's response:
There is great cause for hope and educating yourself will help you, help your daughter.

My 3rd daughter had depression upon puberty onset - and its not uncommon for those pre-disposed to mood issues. My 4th daughter had mood issues since birth and has been my REAL education!

Medication trials are hard, no doubt about it, but they can be necessary if a child's symptoms are interfering with their daily life.

I don't believe the statement is entirely accurate: " Her psych. said that it would have started working by then if she did indeed have ADD"
I have known many people that didn't have success with Ritalin, who have ADD, yet had success with other stimulant type medications. Again, its a very individual thing.

Did her Psychiatrist do a thorough evaluation upon seeing your daughter as a patient? If not, I would consider a second opinion from a Child Psychiatrist.

How is her school supporting her? Does your daughter have a 504 or an IEP?

Am happy to offer ideas and suggestions - I understand how hard this all can be!! (((((((Hugs)))))))!
-Kathleen

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

love problems solution baba ji +91-9888401510
Get all solutions in your life within 48 hours and with 100% guaranteed. With in astrology systematic call to guru ji +91 9888401510 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.