Skip to content
my best friend has ADHD and Im lost
paul36 posted:
Hi my closest friend (27 yo) has been diagnosed with ADHD and is on meds but he has dropped out of college because he couldn't concentrate or sleep properly, and is often irritable, says hurtful things he doesn't mean to say and is frustrated with himself. He is seeing a therapist (medical) but Im so frustrated. I want to help him but he pushes me away. I accept him as he is but apart from stepping back and watching him crash I have no idea what to do.
atti_editor responded:
Hi Paul36,

I am sorry that you are having to go through this with your closest friend as I know that adhd has a profound effect not only on the person that has it but on friends and family as well. I am glad to hear that he is seeing a therapist as this should benefit him greatly.

This slideshow about adult adhd may give you some good insight into what your friend is experiencing, and why he is behaving in the ways that he is. Just being there for him and making it known that you are there if/when he wants to talk may be the only way that you can help him at this time (I know that it is frustrating to think that you may not be able to do more).

Here are some behavioral strategies that he may be working on with his therapist that could help strengthen his interpersonal skills and that you may be able to help him with once he is receptive to your help.

Hang in there, I am sure that he need a close friend right now even if he feels he needs to go through this on his own! Please let us know how you both are doing!

Best wishes,

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Very simple..
I am almost thirty and still struggling every day.. In my line of work Life and safety are at risk when I zone out. Recently, I have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.