Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Need your help regarding my son who is having ADHD
rajenra posted:

The undersigned is a worried parent of a son who is having ADHD. Till he was in Std VI (Aged 11 Years) we did not notice any significant activity related to ADHD barring his restlessness. But slowly, we started noticing some activities like his inability to properly adjust/mix with his friends, his tendency to irritate others & his loss of interest with any type of games. Though he is intelligent and had shown exceptionally good performance in his Std X result, he seldom writes his lessons and study in sitting position.He always studies in his bed in lying condition.We consulted one Psychiatrist in the year 2010 who diagnosed him as a patient of ADHD and had advised treatment through counseling.Through counseling definite improvement was noticed , but it could not be continued further. Presently, he does not want to go to any Doctor or counselor for any advice. Recently, he is totally neglecting his high school studies though he is now a student of Std XII(Aged 17 Years) and his Senior School certificate examination is nearing. His attitude towards his mother has also become hoarse. We both parents have become very much worried and do not know what to do.Please advice us. If any medication is required please indicate the same.

Please send your advice to the undersigned at

With deep regards.

Rajendra Gupta
Gina Pera responded:
HI Rajendra,

I am responding here, not via e-mail.

If indeed your son has ADHD to a significant degree, it is unlikely (given what you describe) that therapy will make a market or sustained difference.

Medication is largely considered the singlemost effective tool for ADHD.

Many students study in bed. That doesn't mean it's an effective practice. But if your son is lying in bed because he lacks the mental and physical stamina to sit up and study, that could be related to ADHD as well. It can take much cognitive effort to study when one has untreated ADHD -- reading comprehension can be difficult -- and there is not much left over.

I encourage you to find a medical specialist in ADHD and seek an evaluation. Your son might balk, but as long as he still lives at home, you have some leverage. Things could get much worse as he grows older. The time to really seek effective intervention is when the child is still living at home.

It is important to read some good books about ADHD. Also, it's important to understand that it is highly genetic; if a child has ADHD, it is likely (but not definite) that at least one parent has it. If that is the case, it is very supportive to the child that that parent also seek an ADHD evaluation and treatment.

good luck,

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 13 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.