Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ritalin not working
adk522 posted:
Hello, i have been on Rittalin for about a month now. i have experimented with different dosages and the only benefit i am getting is more energy. I called my DR and he wants to try Adderal, but i am not sure that will work either. I tried adderal with another DR a while back and it was about the same as the Ritalin.... Has anyone had a similar experience and what med eventually worked? I was wondering if something like Wellbutrin would be a better direction.

teeny79 responded:
Even if adderall worked great for me that isn't a guarantee that it will work great for you. Make sure to let your doc know if a med doesn't work for you and ask about the wellbutrin. He may be willing to try it with you. If not wellbutrin there are other options out there. Research a few different meds you would like to try so that when you go back to the doctor you can ask him or her about them.

sandie_law responded:
Like any other medication, Ritalin doesn't work for everyone. Granted, it helps a lot of people - that's why it's usually the first drug doctors try. Work with your doctor very, very closely.

It may take a while to figure out which drug/dosage works best for you, but you shouldn't give up. You doctor may end up prescribing a combination of medications - from what I've seen here, that's not uncommon.

I was lucky in that Ritalin worked wonders for me. I'm currently taking both Ritalin and Wellbutrin and I feel like myself for the first time.

It might help to keep a symptom log for a while. While we were working out my dosage, I kept a log tracking my medications, basic ADHD symptoms, and other emotions like depression, stress, and anxiety. I was able to see how long my medications lasted before wearing off, that I didn't need the same dosage throughout the day (I take less in the late afternoon than I do in the morning and at lunch), and that my symptoms get much worse (regardless of dosage) right before my period. I had my husband add notes to the journal to provide a more objective point of view.

Keep at it...and ask your doctor about ALL the available options. If you're not seeing a psychiatrist yet, you might want to find one - they specialize in these types of medications and have more experience with them than a regular primary care physician.

Collegekid2k responded:
I tried Adderall first day ever on ADHD meds, at 10mg, very low dose, and I feel so ###### fantastic it's just amazinggg......27 years of insanity, semi depression, wondering why people couldn't be around me...I was a complete a$$, cut everybody off, talked way to fast, way to much, didn't care what anybody had to say, and now, I have a 2-3 beer buzz and just want to talk and listen to people.....I think you should give it a go man, you can always email me and I'll give you a daily update since I just started

God Bless and keep on keeping on

Eddy

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

Think really hard about medicating children
As a 22 year old with ADHD the best thing my parents ever did for me was not medicate me. I realized the tests I took at the age of 7 and ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.