Skip to content
Is benadryl harmful?
year54 posted:
My grandson has just been diagnosed with ADHD and my daughter-in-law said she does not want to give him medication for it, but she is giving him Benadryl every morning although the Peditrician said not to. Is it bad for him?

teeny79 responded:
No it isn't any more harmful than the medications that are prescribed for adhd, meaning that the side effects of benedryl are much less than the side effects of adhd medications. I am all for giving children with adhd prescription medications when they need them but they do come at a price. My children don't have much of an appetite through out the day because of their meds. They do still eat breakfast, some lunch and a good supper but it stil bothers me because some days they don't eat enough in my opinion. Regardless i see it as a sacrafice we have to make for them.

Some doctors will advise parents to give an adhd child benedryl because it will calm that child down. I don't know if it will eventually stop working if given long term.

I have given my son benedryl at times too. He is on prescription medication but when i give him a med break it is nice to be able to have him be somewhat calm long enough i can get things done.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.