Skip to content
Herbal alternatives to Adderall etc
Amatwrestler2 posted:
I was diagnosed with ADHD a few months ago. I am a full time college student, full time employe and full time husband / father. Although my office schedule is flexible, I find it entirely too difficult to drive 45 minutes (the closest doctor for ADHD that is approved by my insurance) every 30 days for evaluation and Rx refill. (There is some sort of law that requires this?) I am entering the final 4 classes for my degree and they are the most difficult and require the most function from me.

I took Adderall XR for one month and there was noticable change. I then took Vyvanse for one month and it did not seem quite as effective.

I have no problems with staying awake just everything else.

What are the herbal alternatives available for ADHD?

I can not find squat anywhere mentioning something constructive.

Cheers

allisonludwig responded:
I don't know that there is anything that has been proved through rigorious testing that it defintiely helps, but a coworker of mine suggested some books by Dr. Amen, who has studied ways to increase brain functioning, including ADHD and different natural supplements - such as fish oil, and I can't remember the others.

I've also read (somewhere, I can't recall) that in children anyways, that some of them with ADHD also are iron deficient and resond well to an iron increase in their diet - food and/or supplements.

oh, caffeine is another way. this may actually help you since you are not on medication, whereas I am on medication right now and caffeine only makes me feel anxious and restless.

that's all I have found so far~ Allison

Amatwrestler2 responded:
It is funny you mention iron deficiency. Every blood test I have ever had has shown me to be iron deficient. I will head out and try an iron and a fish oil supplement and see what happens.

Thank you for your input.

Cheers

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Amatwrestler2,

You can take a look at Dr. Sogn?s blog posting about Supplements and Vitamins and ADHD. Also, this article on ADHD Diets.

Remember that supplements can make any unsubstantiated claim they like, and can follow any (or no) standard for purity.

Yours in health,

Byroney

AddPoster responded:
I tried a "attention support" formula called AddieUP, it worked really well actually..

tjoceans responded:
I have been diagnosed with ADD, rather than ADHD. I do not have the hyperactivity component, (although researchers, including ourselves do not know everything about ADD/ADHD/OCD/Mania/Panic Disorder/Anxiety, all of these can appear the same way. In addition to these clinical and psychological terms, there is also the possibility of sleep disorders (such as narcolepsy and cataplexy, which may sound like a stretch considering what we are shown on TV as to what they are and what they look like, sleep disorders affect our thought processes and our sleep/wake time, therefore tired in the day and awake at night, this could look like mania), tachycardia (in my case, makes me forget and appear to be ADD, my tachycardia may be caused by an anxiety/panic disorder.) My tachycardia may also be causing me slight agoraphobia. These terms may sound extremely clinical, but are not far from what many with anxiety disorders may endure; if you look up some of these terms and intuit them for yourself, you may discover possible underlying conditions or symptoms. It is not a short term solution, but you must remember that any of the psychiatric medications may cause long term side effects. Please, also refer to the chemicals in our food, etc... Also, see meditation. If the problem is with mental organization and forgetfulness, treatment for anxiety disorders, such as clonazepam may work great. i had many problems with my senior seminar. I was at the top of my class. The stress and anxiety caused by my final class, cause mental disorganization and my anxiety caused me OCD, we could look at this many ways. "The OCD person wants a finished product," is the mantra. I nearly tanked my senior seminar and this is before my diagnoses. Think in steps and journal your thoughts. I hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the ADD/ADHD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.