Skip to content
New to Adopting
An_191068 posted:
My husband and I want to adopt a child. We have a son but cant have anymore. Does anyone know the process for adoption? Does the goverment help? Is it more expensive international than domestic?
fiannakyn responded:
I strongly recomend checking out They cover everything to do with adoption, even stuff you didnt think of.

The process for adoption- it really depends on what way you want to go about doing it.
Does the Goverment help- you do get an adoption reimburment credit on your taxes the year you finalize the adoption- around $10k. Or if you decide to go by Foster to adopt, then the goverment/state helps a LOT.
International vs domestic- I believe in the long run international does end up costing more, mostly cause of travel.

The first step in the process of any form is to decide- do you want an infant, or are you thinking of an older child? Do you want a "normal healthy" child, or will special needs be an option?
Then you have to decide if race and gender matter to you.

If older children are an option (as in 3years ) you can adopt via the state foster care system, which is rediculously cheep. You can get infants via the system, but the wait can be pretty long if you dont want to risk fostering first.

Infant private adoptions can cost up to 20-30 thousand dollars for either domestic or international. Wait can be anywhere from emediate to 3 years (or longer depending on country- China has a 6-8 year wait right now)
Vicky(33), married 10 years, no children. Fought (and lost) infertility for all 10 years. Moving on to adoption, hoping to be able to do it via foster system.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Dec, 2011 Hi, I'm Vicky, my husband is named Ashley (really!) and we've been married for over 10 years. I have PCOS so we struggled with infer...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.