Skip to content
Severe Ragweed Allergy
Veritas_Woman posted:
Hi all,
I've been posting on the Asthma board but figured this question may be more appropriate here. I've been struggling pretty hard with my allergies this year-beginning around June-so much so that they started causing me to have asthma attacks. I was finally starting to feel better and feel like the allergies and asthma symptoms were more under control until the ragweed season hit. I've been taking Veramyst, Singulair and Zyrtec-D for allergy control as well as using a salene sinus rinse- in addition to several asthma medications. It was all working great until the ragweed came out. Does anyone know of anything that my work better or anything I could add to the mix to get through ragweed season? My allergy/asthma Dr. seems reluctant to try allergy shots yet. Thanks!

sgbl88 responded:
Hello,

I would recommend that you ask your dr about Astepro or Patanase. They are both nasal antihistamine sprays. You could also try OTC Chloreseptic allergy gel and NasalCrom.

Feel better.

Sonya
Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

Aqua14 responded:
I totally agree with Sonya about the nasal antihistamine. I just added Patanase this August and I love it. Maybe your doctor would give you a sample -- there are 44 sprays in a sample bottle, which is quite a lot. (I also tried Astepro, but to me it has an icky taste and feel.)

The other thing to think about is that Zyrtec-D actually only has 5 mg of Zyrtec in it, as opposed to the normal, adult dose of Zyrtec (10 mg). Are you taking Zyrtec-D once or twice per day? If only once, you might ask your doctor whether you can add-on an extra 5 mg of Zyrtec. (Although it's hard to find the 5 mg "child dose" of Zyrtec or generic nowdays. They used to have these kids' 5 mg. chewable tablets but those are being phased out, which was one of the reasons I had to go to the Patanase instead of cheap OTC 5 mg. of cetirizine.)

The other thing you could think about is bumping up your dose of Veramyst. I use Nasonex which is a nasal steroid like Veramyst, and there have been times when I double the dose -- which I have gotten the ok to do from my allergist.

One other tip, and I know it's not fun -- try to really strictly limit your exposure to outdoors, and take a shower after coming in from outside, maybe have someone else go outside to get the paper or the mail. (I'm assuming you have A/C in your house and in your car.) It's a pain, you may feel like a prisoner, but sometimes it's necessary.

So those are my thoughts, without knowing more about your situation. Hopefully some of them help. Take care and just think, the frost will be here soon . . . . Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Veritas_Woman replied to Aqua14's response:
I've been limiting my exposure to the outdoors-basically coming and going from work. I do have a/c at the house but unfortunately not in my car-I'm sure its not helping matters-we are trying to replace it soon. I think I may also try switching to Claritin-D over the Zyrtec. A friend with pretty nasty allergies and asthma said its the only thing that works for him. I may also try adding in the nasalcrom or something like it. The last couple weeks have been so crazy with the allergies/asthma that I am getting very nervous about the 2 day outdoor archery tournament this weekend. I just don't want to be so nervous about the allergy and asthma symptoms acting up that I don't shoot well.

sgbl88 replied to Veritas_Woman's response:
To add to Judy's thought:

Everyone's metabolism is different, so what works for one won't necessarily work for you. You will have to experiment. Claritin was doing very little for me so I switched to Zyrtec. I take 3 zyrtec a day. That does help me. My allergist swears that you cannot OD on anithistamine, but you will have to deal with the stronger side effects. Antihistamines are dehydrating so I drink TONS of water. They can also cause constipation at higher doses so I eat a very high fiber diet.

I also tried Allegra, but I don't think it worked at all for me and might be the cause of my extended flare. I just switched back to Zyrtec. Now, with being sick and on meds and high allergy season resuming (ragweed and I just saw that cedar elm and cedar are hitting the charts (my tow WORST allergens)) we will see how this fall goes.

Good luck in the tournament if you decide to participate.

Sonya
Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

Aqua14 replied to sgbl88's response:
Good point, Sonya. I thought Claritin was very weak, too. Then I tried Allegra and it was better, and Clarinex was ok, but when I tried Zyrtec it was like, WOW! The difference was like night and day and I finally felt almost normal. And back in the day I would sometimes take 1 and a half Zyrtec which helped a lot.

Veritas -- If you do go to the tournament, could you bow out at any time if your health requires? I guess I would be of two minds about it, too. On the one hand you don't want to jeopardize your health, and it could be weeks before you're better. But on the other hand, I get pretty resentful when I have to limit my activities because of allergies/asthma and I feel that I should be able to live a pretty much normal life despite them. So personally I might be inclined to try it and see how it goes, but I can see that other people might choose differently. And you never know -- it could be a rainy couple of days where the pollen is all washed out of the air!

Let us know how it turns out. And hope that you are able to participate and do well. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Veritas_Woman replied to Aqua14's response:
Today, since I still have some Zyrtec left I'm going to try and spread it out through 3 doses-one with each meal and see how it goes-so far it is better. I did get into a bit of a mini flare yesterday due to some sort of perfume or hair product someone had on here at work but so far today is feeling better. I also took two squirts of the Veramyst to each nostril instead of the usual one and I think it may be helping too.

Yes, if it came down to it, I could bow out of the tournament however I would loose my state title I have also been trying to get sponsors so not having my state outdoor finishing score could hurt that as well. Indoor Archery season is right around the corner though! We do still shoot in the rain as long as it is not thundering and lightning-in fact, I've shot several tournaments where it has felt like a monsoon! And it could happen especially with Hurricane Earl on its way. I kind of wish a lower profile dust mask was available I'll just have to drug up on anti-allergy meds and perhaps a preventative dose of the albuterol and pray it works!

I'll keep you all posted! Thanks all!

sgbl88 replied to Veritas_Woman's response:
Praying for a successulf tournament with NO breathing issues.

Stay on top of things by proactively treating with albuterol.

Sonya

Rikki670 responded:
This is not a response on medication, but a warning on food. My husband is highly allergic to ragweed. If the allergist opens the bottle to the ragweed my husband welts up. He recently found out that sunflower is in the same family and that he will die if he is in close contact. I thought I would share this with you since they are putting this in everything these days. Maybe you will be lucky and not develop an allergy to this product. I just want you to be aware since his allergy developed over night. He used to eat sunflower seeds and we found out because one day I had a trial mix that didn't have sunflower products in it and he was eating it and wanted some more when mine ran out so he went to the store and purchased some more. He didn't purchase the same type and his had sunflower seeds in it. Within a couple of hours his throat was closing and the hospital was doing everything they could to try and open his passages. This was his first time with a food allergy. Good luck with your medications and I hope you don't have the trouble my husband has with sunflower products, it is in so many things.

Veritas_Woman replied to Rikki670's response:
Thanks for the warning. I've never had any food troubles either though I had eaten a multi grain bagel a little over a month ago and I have recently developed an allergy to sesame seeds-same kind of reaction as your husband had with the sunflower seeds/product. All of my allergies really took a turn for the worst this year. They have clearly gone from annoying to making me feel absolutely miserable and have also gotten to the point of airway inflammation and asthma-also new along with the sesame seeds. Thanks for the caution!

Bobster64 responded:
Hi,have you ever tried an allergy light reliever. It's a small hand held device that has two prongs that you slide in your nostrils and it shines a low frequency visible red light for 3 minutes, used 3 times a day it dampens the noses response to allergens and stops the production of histamine. My daughter suffers from allergic rhinitis and this has helped massively for her and its a one off price so saves money on over the counter drugs which cost a fortune over time. Please have a look. http: //www.allergylight.com

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center